Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    And Untangle's anti-DRM stance prevents other controls.

Well wouldn't an "anti-DRM" stance include, not assuming everybody is a criminal???

Oh I agree, there is a dev blog on Untangle's wiki somewhere that does a wonderful lambasting Sonicwall for nuking all their clients when their activation server was DOS'd off the net.

Now if only all the black hats out there would do something useful... like Nuke Microsoft's activation servers off the net. Pull that off for 72 hours and I think we'd finally have a DRM free world.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

That's funny you said the re-router is deserving of the shelf. Astaro is launching a new product that is basically a re-router in a $200-300 hardware device. I do agree with you however. I tried to get the re-router to work off an ISO and it does work to an extent, but not good enough to try and market as a solution.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

I was doing product research on network equipment about 6 months ago that indicated linksys, netgear, and d-link were going to have arp-spoof defenses built into all products by the end of 2010.

So, assuming those three actually do that... re-router is done.

Dirk contacted me ages ago regarded several ideas they had to support this market segment. They are all quite good, so I'm not losing any sleep over the loss of re-router. The dedicated re-router is the only thing that is worth anything to me as it eliminates the need for a windows license.
    NexgenAppliances.com

It still doesnt work well. It would be nice to see a "Untangle on a stick" setup where we could deploy a single nic router on the network, out of line of the WAN pipe, and still be able to point clients to it for services such as anti spyware, virus, and web filter.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

That would be nice.. .but Debian seems resistant to booting from a USB device.
    NexgenAppliances.com

In my humble opinion, one of the main advantages of Untangle in the context where the admin does not have 100% control over the machines conncting to the network is the fact that Untangle is in line with the wan connexion. Such contexts include most businesses with mobile employees using laptops on the road and in the office, etc. One does not need to write log-on scripts to point to a proxy when on the network and not when outside.

An other context where Untangle's in-line characteristic is beneficial is actually in a home setting, where UT can be dropped as a bridge right behind the router. Less technically adept users will succeed at installing UT as a bridge, but would struggle with firewall and NAT rules.

Other options such as UT on a stick, virtual machines, etc. are good for real IT staff and technically savvy home users.

I still think that the dedicated server is the better way forward both for the home segment and the SMB segment, where more sophisticated implementations will be done. Re-router was a hack. A nice one, but still a hack. It was on borrowed time from Day 1. UT on a stick would be great for demos, and that's about it as far as I can see.

My 2 cents.

LD

The reason I advocate the "stick" deployment is for networks and admins that dont want to "jeopardize" their WAN pipe and still want to use untangle. I have lost many a deal to larger business who could not put untangle "in line" for various reasons. Mainly, they have spent lots of $$$ building in redundancy into their WAN architecture, and since UT does not have any viable failover / HA options at this time, it cannot be used.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Yeah I've run into that problem too. I just don't understand it. You've built in redundancy, but that redundancy only extends to a point. If Untangle is planted between the CSU of a given connection, and the first router, if Untangle fails it's the same thing as if that WAN link fails.

Sure it takes more installations, but you can still cover things. What is really missing isn't HA features, it's a centralized management console.
    NexgenAppliances.com

agreed. I think it stems from the fact that alot of people still dont trust open source routers and firewalls. You know the kind, stuck in the "good ol' days" when the internet was young, and life was simpler, ect.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast