Untangle Ninja

Default So I get a call from a small office client....

Web response is sporadic, some sites respond, others error out, since I'm but a couple of miles away I stop by.

Indeed web response is sporadic, ironically, the untangle forums don't load, but I can load the system page of the cable modem..... google, but not dhl.

Again some sites respond, others don't, I could come in externally from my phone and access odd port servers behind UT via port forwarding, weird, I could access another hosted server on an alternate port from behind UT, streaming video, weird, email is coming in, huh....

I started thinking interference from the UT modules, UT is in router mode, but going through the event logs in the modules yielded nothing blocked, attack blocker is quiet, running jnettop showed traffic as expected on the external and internal interfaces.

I turned off a few modules and no improvement.

I created a bypass rule in the policy manager for all and everything, no difference, though the gui bar graphs are quiet on the few pages that do load.

I rebooted the ut server from the gui, after it came back up, no improvement.

Finally, I remembered............

So, the moral of the story is, just because the internet isn't responding as expected, you can't always blame the Untangle!

heh - funny thanks for posting
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

That sounds like a recent call I got from one of my clients. They said their internet was down. I was able to connect via OpenVPN and finally discovered that their ISP's DNS was not responding.

I'd just sold them on some of the benefits of Untangle and I was hoping it wasn't "my" fault.
    MiniPilote

That wasn't the only insanity we had today.

4-15-10, Volcano in Iceland starts erupting
    4-16-10, Dust from said Volcano reaches the UK
    4-16-10, Volcanic activity starts melting nearby glaciers raising local sea levels.

All of this insanity, as harmless as it may seem. Canceled most trans Atlantic flights today. Certain elements of the effects of the fallout have effected both the northern seaboard, and the UK's connections to the trans-Atlantic cables used to connect Europe to the US. The trickle down from those routers has been causing all sorts of connection issues. The problems with COX today were unrelated but just added icing on the cake.

And, for your daily dose of irony to put on top of this cake. I play EvE online, which is produced by a game developer called CCP entertainment.

Now, CCP is headquartered in Iceland, and their primary data center is in the UK. When this information is combined with the aforementioned volcanic activity, and the knowledge that the next product to be released by CCP is scheduled to release is called Dust 514. The jokes on the EVE forums are running rampant, and the best one I've heard is the suggestion to rename Dust to 415 to commemorate the eruption that is causing air quality issues in the UK, and massive flooding in Iceland.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Just to set one detail straight: it is not sea level that is swelling, but river levels: the volcano is located in a glacier area and is causing rapid melting.

One reference can be found here: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/0...vacuation.html.

quote from article:
    A volcano under a glacier in Iceland erupted Wednesday, melting ice, shooting smoke and steam into the air and forcing hundreds of people to leave their homes.

Authorities moved 800 residents away from the Eyjafjallajokull glacier as rivers rose by up to three metres. Rognvaldur Olafsson, a chief inspector for the Icelandic Civil Protection Agency, said no lives or properties were in immediate danger.

Emergency officials and scientists said the eruption under the ice cap was 10 to 20 times more powerful than an eruption that happened in the area late last month, and carried a much greater risk of widespread flooding.

More information about Iceland geology can be found here, in very condensed form: http://iceland.vefur.is/iceland_natu...land/index.htm
    LD
    Last edited by Louisd; 04-17-2010 at 03:20 AM.

Thanks Louis, I'll admit to only putting cursory interest on the topic. Personally I was more interested in why all of my clients were having spotty problems getting to European web servers this morning.

Still, if anyone hasn't done so yet do some googling about that volcano. The pictures coming from it are simply amazing.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

our ISP had some DNS issues yesterday, was giving same kind of problems, some sites load, others don't, apparently it was their link to the U.S went to all hell, but it is supposed to be fine now, wonder if it is still having some issues...
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb