Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Spoke too soon, at 7am my connection died... again.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I am constantly having to troubleshoot comcast's network for them here as well...hell i have to do the same thing for sprint... you'd figure these companies would have at least ONE competent person on their IT staff.

Well COX finally admitted they've opened a trouble ticket with Cisco... so we'll see where this goes.
    NexgenAppliances.com

I have great sympathy for you. The amount of problems you have just described is DOUBLE what I have had to deal with from AT&T MIS. Think the line for us has had issues 3 times maybe 4. The only thing they is slow, no morons like you deal with.

I had the privilege one time for deal with the T1 support for AT&T DSL. Well lets just say I now am missing a bit of hair on my head. Then to top it off the modem was broke 4 times in that call.

It seems like unless you spend about 400 bucks a month you get morons who have no idea a modem is let alone how to troubleshoot it.

If I had the option to pay something like 10 bucks a month to talk to someone who actually knows what the hell they are talking about I would gladly pay.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Well, I suppose I should outline the details of my issues in the hope others may see it and not get so frustrated.

COX communications uses almost all Cisco equipment in their network. They were using a mix of Juniper equipment as well, but they are now in the process of consolidating everything into Cisco equipment. I don't have all the details, but there is apparently some benefits to having a solid proprietary approach when you mix in the voice, data, and video they are trying to deliver.

Anyway, DOCSIS 3.0 delivers enhanced bandwidth over DOCSIS 2.0 by adding adapter bonding. A coaxial connection allows for many different frequencies of operations. DOCSIS 3.0 uses two channels, or more to deliver data. The technology is very similar to good old fashioned adapter bonding. Anyway, on the ISP side each DOCSIS 3.0 device is actually multiple devices trunked together.

Anyway, when you take one of these teamed connections, and pair it with a single mac address having control with multiple IP addresses. When these conditions are met, it causes the CMTS router on the ISP side, to lock all but one address. Essentially, there is a bug in the Cisco router code that makes all this crap happen. Let's hope Cisco can get their act together.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12