Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Annoyed beyond belief...

I just got off the phone with COX for the fourth time today, the second time forcing them to flush the arp cache on the CMTS I'm connected to.

The technician's answer for my arp issues?

Stop using multiple IP addresses on a single MAC address. My ISP is now trying to tell me I must spoof a mac address on each bound IP to keep this issue from happening. I'm not happy.

They better get real by the time I wake up tomorrow morning, because if I go down again during business hours I know a few people that are going to be crapping contracts until their anal cavities disintegrate from paper cuts!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

mdh

Well, the good news is that if they're crapping contracts, the paperwork is just about done. Hope the pen is accounted for.

"Stop using multiple IP addresses on a single MAC address. My ISP is now trying to tell me I must spoof a mac address on each bound IP to keep this issue from happening. I'm not happy."

Tell to the help desk of your isp to recommend what network device that does. No router or firewall work so from my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    No router or firewall work so from my knowledge.
    IP Addressing Services Proxy ARP

Untangle Gold Partner
    Untangle's Business Value

Exactly, Mozerd, they are trying to tell me that I must change out my equipment for high end junk just to address a problem with their back end.

EQUIPMENT THAT I WON'T NEED ON THEIR FIBER!

So I just got on the horn with a local rep, and not so politely informed him that telling me I need to spend thousands of dollars on routing equipment to connect to an SMB cable line is moronic. And they can either fix it in the next 24 hours or expect to be transferring me to a disconnect department. And yes I've also confirmed their fiber links don't need this crap. So the "enterprise" connection doesn't need the "enterprise" equipment but their SMB one does.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Read the subscription agreement and if they are responsible for providing the CPE demand it.
    Its the first time I read the need to publish one MAC address for each IP address you have.

Mozerd: This feature is in the PIX/ASA also? or only in the 2500 (too old) IOS?
    Last edited by dwasserman; 04-27-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    Mozerd: This feature is in the PIX/ASA also? or only in the 2500 (too old) IOS?
    proxy ARP is a capability [feature] native to IOS -- all CISCO Router running under IOS have this ability -- it is not turned on by default -- some consider enabling ARP Proxy a security issue + other behaviors that network engineers are not found of.

And that was my response to the COX field moron that suggested it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

ProxyARP isn't that, proxyARP is one MAC address many IPs.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Precisely, ProxyARP is a process to hide multiple public IP's that are assigned to multiple interfaces behind a single interface.

Anyway, I had a long conversation with a tier 2 tech that I've been waking up every night for a week. He, being as sleep deprived as I am over this issue FINALLY saw the connection die, and was able to trace the symptoms back to the source.

Apparently, I was only the most vocal of several complaints, and after an hour this evening of wondering what they were smoking... they finally came to the massive conclusion that the CMTS responsible for the eastern half of town, the very device that malfunctioned last week causing a major outage, and the same very outage that started this last week of nightmares, was faulty.

So after a week of pain, Cox has finally decided to fail this entire CMTS and all 2000 people stuck on it, over to the backup unit located in the same rack. No sooner than the pushed the button did my connections stabilize. I just hope it holds.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast