Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mobile app for Untangle?

Has the thought of creating an app to remote manage untangle from a smartphone ever been thrown on the idea board?

Maybe one for Android / Windows mobile?

Make it a paid app that costs maybe 10 - 15 bucks.

I am thinking hell will freeze over before this happens, but it would rock so much.

Just throwing it out there
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

How about pointing at the mobile phone devs and asking them to give us a fully featured browser that can simply view the existing page?

Why are we redeveloping web content? Isn't it the browsers job to view this "generically defined" content we've created in a usable way?

CSS apparently completely missed the "small form" specification. I'm curious to see what they do about it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Either way its killing me that I can manage untangle on my droid the browsers messes up the page.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Untangler

Make it a paid app that costs maybe 10 - 15 bucks.
    Your going about getting it the wrong way. Tell them they can put ads on the android pages and they will be all over it.

I know you don't like the dolphin browser, but it does work. Its not pretty but you can do things in a pinch.

Don

Ever since they added multi touch to the chrome / default browser in android it has been much better. I have tried dolphin before but I will give it another try I guess.

Untanglit

Firefox Mobile (Fennec) on Maemo5 works great for connecting to my Untangle. Sure, the small screen of ANY mobile isn't exactly great for browsing or filling out a lot of info, but compared to Safari on iPhone and the default webkit Maemo browser, FireFox has a much better featureset and compatibility. I believe that Firefox Mobile is coming to Android - its in Nightlys now.

It would be neat to have a dedicated mobile UI layout for managing Untangle, but I don't see any reason to have specific "apps" necessarily. Maybe a "mobile" page version of the rack, similar to how many websites used to have a mobile version that scaled well for a small screen? Still, if the Untangle team decides on them, it would be awesome to make them open source. Please consider Maemo/MeeGo in addition to Android and always-popular iPhone. Maemo is a great little platform for geeks and hacker types, that will be configuring Untangle and its easy to develop for without paying for access to SDKs and whatnot - its basically Debian Linux for ARM (Admittedly, Maemo6/MeeGo/Moblin will transition over to RPM for some reason). This is one reason that Mozilla chose it as their initial platform for developing Firefox Mobile!

Untanglit

Don't forget the iPhone! But a mobile site would be neat too.

*Want's Blackberry support so very much for the admin and SPAM quarantine pages* This would make my life so VERY much easier.
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    How about pointing at the mobile phone devs and asking them to give us a fully featured browser that can simply view the existing page?

Why are we redeveloping web content? Isn't it the browsers job to view this "generically defined" content we've created in a usable way?
    agreed
    no need to reinvent the browser.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Hmmm....a cross platform browser that works with Untangle? I think that this is brilliant!!!!
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast