Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bandwidth Throttling

Just wondering when or if it is planned to introduce bandwidth throttling to Untangle. My problem is that I have an internet connection only 2mbit shared over a large network. From time to time, when people are downloading etc. it effects web browsing and emailing and the likes. Is there any work around at the moment to prioritize certain traffic like port 80? or a way to limit each IP address to a certain amount of bandwidth.

Thanks

it is definitely planned - one of the most requested features
    I don't have any exact dates for you yet though

QoS is coming also, which should allow for basic traffic prioritization
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

omg 666 posts dmorris :P

mdh

That's just the nature of the beast...

yeah... same to my case.

integrated packet shaping technology is demanding.

Untangler

almost six months on from the OP's question does anyone have any updates to this?

Only reason I ask is that a lot of people from the MS SBS Community is currently being recommended this program as a replacement for ISA server which is being taken out of MS SBS Server 08. This functionality will be some of the items these SBS Admins will be chasing is both a great feature to implement and a great opportunity to increase your subscription base

Well I guess my first question is why should UT care about the SBS community? Since anyone that uses that walking nightmare of lost time and money has half a brain cell...

Anyway apparently there is some synergy between wan failover/load balancing and QoS. QoS is currently the next big feature in 5.3, the others will come after QoS is complete.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Well yeah, its not Linux, but MS is holding a large section of the server market now compared to a handful of years ago and its only growing, so you can mock away but its here to stay. =)

Of that SBS Servers are basically the best value at $500 US for the whole package, so when your talking about a $10-15K Server install, spending less than 5% on the OS isnt a waste of money at all.

Linux vs Windows arguments aside, thx for the info, do they have any idea when the 5.3 might be due? Cheers

Oh no I didn't mean to imply I'm anti-MS.. on the contrary 99% of all the work I do is for and supporting their technology. I just don't like selling my customers a product that they simply can't upgrade away from. Rip and Replace? Not in my network...

5.3 is in closed beta now so whenever it passes QA testing...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

mdh

I agree with sky-knight on all points here. Were it not for Microsoft, I would likely have been on a street corner with a sign saying "Will be president for food." I think as far as the best value goes, Linux servers would outperform a Microsoft server in almost every way possible. The only catch is that .NET is something a lot of VB coders are severely attached to, and its hard to pry them away from that. I have worked for a few consulting companies who would write complete projects for customers with lotsa money. Almost across the board, the code ended up pretty but crippled, AND it would usually ONLY work on a MS platform.

When ronnikat or dmorris makes announcements regarding timetables, we can talk about specific times. Otherwise, unforeseen issues can make releases slip. Best not to go out on limbs sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast