Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 7.3.1 or back to 7.2 ?

Hi there

I have more issues with 7.3.1 than i had with 7.2 before.

on 7.2 i was able to do a automation with some network devices which are not needed at night. The Power Supply of these devices was just cut by power management and they were down, then when they got activated again , even the UT Box begun to work just fine after rebooting in 15 minutes. why in 7.3.1 not anymore? why it needs now far longer? and why it takes an infinity of time to load the iptables rules again, and again, and again...., and sometimes a need to restart the server one more time.

i wish Untangle would have a better ACPI or "UP and Down Time Settings" with the Possibility of Wake on Lan. And it would be nice also to have a Setting to chose the Time Server for Sync by our selfs.

an other issue is, than when UT starts in the Hardware Workaround mode, i cannot login physically . I can login on the network , but with port 443 sometimes when i try to change something an error occurs " Forbidden" WTF?

an other issue is: wenn UT boots i can connect to the internet without the Captive Portal asking of a login, this means that the Captive Portal was not loaded yet, but this means also that while booting UT is not secured enough.

so, what should i do now? back to 7.2 or not?
    Good Night UT Box

Let me rephrase your question: Why is it when I do something totally weird and unrecommended, my system acts strangely?

You need to just leave the box running. It has stuff to do while it's not "busy" and you're messing that up by shutting it down and bringing it up constantly.

If you want to keep mistreating your system, go back to 7.2, but it sounds to me like you're going to keep having problems. For example, if it is taking 15 minutes to boot, it sounds like it's running fsck on each boot because the system is not being shut down gracefully.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

i'm not mistreating anything , when i reboot the server takes the same time.

it's not a human, it's a machine with Parameters, and the question is.. is it flexible enough to meet my needs or not.
    Good Night UT Box

Untangle, is a GUI and some middleware that pulls a crap ton of open source projects together into a cohesive, and unified whole.

To tinker with the base OS on any level is to tinker with a base set of assumptions used to build that cohesive whole.

Translation into English: play under the hood at your own peril. The most minor of changes can cause massive problems. Including, but not limited to your box not upgrading correctly.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

and causing extended boot times. I have two UT's deployed right now and neither of them take 5 minutes to boot from a dead stop.

WHat networks cards are you using?

i had a box that got slower and slower over time with boots, used to be instant, than would take 2-3 minutes - removed the DLink and Realtek network cards and tossed in 2 intel ones = instant boots again!
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

he is killing power to the box every night. Not shutting down the system. He is basically pulling the plug. This can cause database issues, disk issues, and all kinds of other undesirable issues. Just let it run.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Quote Originally Posted by proactivens View Post
    he is killing power to the box every night. Not shutting down the system. He is basically pulling the plug. This can cause database issues, disk issues, and all kinds of other undesirable issues. Just let it run.
    helps with automatic upgrades too!
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by ethX View Post
    The Power Supply of these devices was just cut by power management and they were down, then when they got activated again ,
    Just WOW!

when you say cut off by power management, what or who is that specifically, i dont know of any motherboard or PSU that does that on it;s own, it is the OS that handles that, along with the motherboard.

was this a one time deal or something that happens every night as Sky said?

if so i would talk to what ever.. idiot is doing this.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast