Untangler

Default Plans to move to newer Kernel

Are there any plans to move to a newer kernel, such as 2.6.32? I tried the one from backports; the system booted OK, but bad things happened afterwards.

I'd like to set up my untangle box as a wireless access point and from what I hear, 2.6.32 has better wireless support.

Thanks,

- Joe

Untangle Ninja

I know that there is a bug that they are looking on moveing to a newer kernel.
    http://bugzilla.untangle.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7228

But the main problem is with Wlan is that UT only works with ETH adn not WLAN or AIR cards.

So the best solution is to have a AP behind UT.

Untangler

Ahhh, thanks for the info - wasn't aware of that!

Do you know if there are any plans to program UT to protect the WLAN as well? I'm trying to save power by making UT a wireless AP as well. One less piece of equipment to fail too.

Thanks!

- Joe

considering that ap's only draw 10 watts or less the ROI on this is nearly non-existent.

i recall one reason why wireless is not better in UT is because most have UT in a location, like a rack or a closet where wireless reception would not be good at all, so they are not focused on improving wireless NIC support to be better, or at least not a priority.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Actually the largest issue with wireless in UT is the simple fact that when dealing with any modern wireless (read anything newer than B) the cards simply aren't capable of acting as a real access point.

There are significant differences in the radios used on cards vs the APs. You're simply better off getting a solid interface, and jacking it into a good AP. Linksys makes a really nice AP, so does Netgear. And the new Linksys business line AP is KILLER, if you want to pony up that money.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com