Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

haha, google spiders are active arent they? I didnt really meant to start a debate, I was really really really pissed off friday. In Untangles defense, they did do everything they could to help me win back the sale, but it was too late. The school district was the one at fault here. They should have notified me this was happening. They didn't and thus I am powerless.

Still though, I know a company like Astaro would not let the sale happen. They would not cut the license to a reseller who stole a deal from another reseller.

This OEM thing makes the water very muddy in this case, however. I would love to be able to list discounts on software licenses if you buy an appliance from me, but according to the reseller policy, I cant. But if I were an OEM, I could do whatever I wanted. Granted it would not be Untangle at that point, it would be my own branded product, and at this point I think I would call it web chicken, lol.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

SMR

Can I have some web chicken!?
    Sam Reeves
    Disclaimer: I know nothing.. There, that should satisfy any doubt you had!
    "on the outside, I was an honest man, straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to be a crook." - Shawshank Redemption (1994 film - Andy Dufresne)

Yeah, The more I thought about it the less angry I got. These guys are on the hook for 100% of the support, and can't ask Untangle for jack. While they license the software, it's not the same deal at all.

Still someone at that school district should be questioning their sanity. Who's word are you going to take? The guy who's been selling the thing for two years and has many installations under his belt, or the new company on the block with a low price tag?

That is what pissed me off more than anything now that I look back on why I felt the way that I did. You lost for the same reason we always lose... the guy with the lower number is somehow magically better. I dream of a day when solutions can compete based on competence and value, and not cheap.

And if you say Untangle had your back, I'll take back everything I said. It was just a bad situation and I really need to learn to hold my temper.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Is it against any if the ToC of being an Untangle reseller to not mention that the unit is powered by Untangle? Even if the branding manager is in use?

Cuz I did not see anything on the tangent website that says anything about Untangle being related to the webhawk product.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Tangent licensed Untangle full OEM. That is a relatively recent change. OEM partners have tools and permission to remove all references to the Untangle brand.

The "branding" manager really is misnamed. It isn't there to brand the product, it's just there to make the block pages fit within a corporate intranet look and feel.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by proactivens View Post
    Still though, I know a company like Astaro would not let the sale happen. They would not cut the license to a reseller who stole a deal from another reseller.
    That is the whole point of a good relationship.

BTW, you did accept a PO -- its apparent from your commentary that the PO was non-binding -- that in itself is a very poor business practice. Why accept a non-binding PO's? [rhetorically stated]. Perhaps a good lesson for future reference.

That's the nature of business... that said it is rare that I get a sale that has moved into P.O. format that gets canceled. The only window the customer has to do that with me is before payment is made. Once payment is renders, orders are placed, and the options for reversing course just went out the proverbial window.

I can't return hardware once it's bought... Not unless it's defective, and even then it's only for a direct replacement.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That's the nature of business...
    No it is not -- but --that may be the nature of business for some -- but not in case law

Purchase orders explained

There are many types of PO's -- If the PO is Preliminary then its non-binding depending on how the terms and conditions are spelled out -- what is important to comprehend is what makes a PO binding.

Even if it were a binding PO, im not about to start filing lawsuits over it. There is recourse here if I wanted to take it, but in the end it would be a waste of time and money.

The only thing that makes me feel good is knowing that tangent sold them under powered hardware. My spec. was for a dual quad 2.2GHz with 8gb of ram. Tangent sold them a single quad 2.66GHz with 8gb of ram. 6000 users will have a hard time running on that.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Mozerd, you are correct, but no one stays in business long suing their customers.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast