Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Losing deals sucks!

I lost a huge deal today. sucks bad
    Last edited by proactivens; 07-09-2010 at 01:54 PM.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

what did you lose it to ?
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

about 5 years ago, when I was a Cisco account manager, resellers could register the deal/opportunity. As long as you register the deal/opportunity first, Cisco could provide some protection/discount. However, if the customer wanted to go with the other reseller, there is nothing that Cisco could do.
    to be understood, you must first understand.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I lost it to Tangent, an Untangle OEM partner.

I developed the sale. They had no idea what untangle was or could do when I first spoke to them. After a month of quoting and sales "engineering" I had a signed PO. We were waiting for the new budget for the 2010-2011 school year so they could pay for the appliance we were putting together for their school. 6000 users. Education standard package.

Then, out of the blue "tangent" comes in with its "webhawk" product, under cuts my quote to BELOW MY FRICKING COST, and sells them on a single quad core "appliance" with 8gb of ram, so on and so forth. Our quote was for a dual quad xeon appliance. Of course "webhawk" will be cheaper, their getting half the hardware.

So tangent stole the sale that I developed and there isnt anything I can do about it.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Master Untangler

wow, i just looked them up. i wasnt aware that you could rebrand untangle to that extent....i mean...nowhere does it mention untangle....

Umm... If they can drop below our cost, I think it's time we reevaluated the reseller program. OEM deal or not, we have to be able to compete.

Granted they sold them weaker hardware. Do you have numbers on the software itself?

Any details you care to publish? We peon normal resellers apparently are going to have to deal with this too.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 07-09-2010 at 06:18 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by proactivens View Post
    I lost it to Tangent, an Untangle OEM partner.

So tangent stole the sale that I developed and there isnt anything I can do about it.
    Untangle has a moral obligation to protect you -- if they do not take that obligation seriously then You have other options that you should discuss with your legal counsel. IF I was in your shoes I would simply drop Untangle in favor of some other solution. In view of your experience I will re-evaluate my relationship.

Why Pay 3 Times as Much?
    Last edited by mozerd; 07-10-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Master Untangler

Well, I would suggest that might be SLIGHTLY reactionary... If there is really a disparity in OEM versus partner pricing, that should be just be discussed privately with Untangle (forums aren't an appropriate place for that discussion).

No need to start with the threats of dropping products, etc. Just my opinion.

Jason

Where is the OEM link disclaimer or pricing list with requirements?
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Jason I would normally agree with you, but historically Untangle has wanted things both ways in their reseller arrangements. I understand why...

Of course at the end of the day Untangle is competing with itself now, which is always an odd situation to be in. Technically Untangle lost this sale too.

Also, in before the thread is destroyed. Because a google for Untangle and OEM lands this page on the 3rd entry. Nothing like a bit of salt.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 07-10-2010 at 11:21 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast