Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

people wonder why we aren't adding custom reports and custom date ranges and further functionality to reports.
    The reality is that no matter what change is made to report people will bitch because they don't like change.

file a bugzilla. I'll just mark it as wontfix.

turn off auto-upgrades.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

dmorris angry
    dmorris smash
    The beatings shall continue until morale improves!

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post

people wonder why we aren't adding custom reports and custom date ranges and further functionality to reports.
    The reality is that no matter what change is made to report people will bitch because they don't like change.

turn off auto-upgrades.
    Change is good as long as it's progress!

What does "wontfix" mean? That you have decided on behalf of all of Untangle Management that this shouldn't be addressed? Why not let someone else in on that decision? You might be wrong on this one.

Master Untangler

I have to agree... Having 'others' in a top X list doesn't make any sense. In fact, worse than that it screws up the list in that you only see the top 9 + others now.

Jason Bottjen

Untangler

I've got to admit, I'm with AgentNul on this one. In fact, I was preparing a post with just the same two questions. I usually don't comment on new features or reports as I let the experts from UT design them. However, the new format is significantly more confusing and I feel a step backwards.

The reports on 7.x were significantly better that previous versions, especially the management report that can easily understood by non technical people. I'm sure the first question from every manager looking at the new reports will be "What does others mean?" and the second question will be "What are these big numbers?".

Personally, I would prefer an option for a Top 25, instead of a Top 10, and have others at the bottom meaning that all other sites or IP's consumed that bandwidth. Having it up top defeats the purpose of seeing who your top user or top site is.

I also have no idea why the MB went to B. Was this actually a request? It's so much easier to read 1.36GB than 1360000000 bytes and to understand it at a glance and explain to someone what that means!

I hate to pick, as I love the product, but those are my opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post

turn off auto-upgrades.
    Of course you "could" make use of the community and warn people about changes of this sort ahead of time. I've relatively quiet about the reports over all because most of my installs are interpreted by me anyway.

However, advanced warning that a given feature that I'm going to have to train management staff on is a bit of a requirement.

The lesson here is to simply not make random changes to reports, and if you are going to make the change give people the option of clicking a button to get the old one. These are just DB queries... nothing massive.

I'm just happy that version 8.0 will FINALLY give me back my bandwidth per IP/user report. I'm getting rather tired of polling that myself from the DB.

Of course, a fully customizable engine would be best. But the dev resources to pull it off.... Honestly if we go down that particular road we need to build a separate Untangle archival server product, that pulls the report data offline so it can be mined without undue load on the Untangle server. And that product would need the ability to absorb data from many Untangles, and is a logical extension to the central management console idea that's been tossed around.

Personal Task for myself: Get more involved in the beta process and pay more attention to the reports. I get too caught up in routing/bridging/module features and I ignore reports. This is bad.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Default Directory Connector Report

One of the very useful parts of the Directory Connector Report showed the usage of bandwidth per user. This is no longer a part of the current report and was wondering if this information is provided in any other reports? We are a subscriber of the Directory Connector and Policy Manager products and would like to request that this information be available once more.

Thank You,
    D Kano
    KTA Super Stores

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Of course you "could" make use of the community and warn people about changes of this sort ahead of time. I've relatively quiet about the reports over all because most of my installs are interpreted by me anyway.

However, advanced warning that a given feature that I'm going to have to train management staff on is a bit of a requirement.
    7.4 ISO has been available with full bugzilla and wiki changelogs for weeks. We can't force users to download the new version and provide feedback.

The lesson here is to simply not make random changes to reports, and if you are going to make the change give people the option of clicking a button to get the old one. These are just DB queries... nothing massive.
    They aren't random. In fact, you'll find that *many* of the graphs changed and in fact the graph are now remarkably consistent with the key stats on the right and the CSV file. You'll notice that the graphs "chunking" and "smoothing" functions are now also consistent. This is part of an overall effort to make reports statistically correct and consistent.
    That option exists in config->upgrades. Simply disable them.

I'm just happy that version 8.0 will FINALLY give me back my bandwidth per IP/user report. I'm getting rather tired of polling that myself from the DB.

Of course, a fully customizable engine would be best. But the dev resources to pull it off.... Honestly if we go down that particular road we need to build a separate Untangle archival server product, that pulls the report data offline so it can be mined without undue load on the Untangle server. And that product would need the ability to absorb data from many Untangles, and is a logical extension to the central management console idea that's been tossed around.

Personal Task for myself: Get more involved in the beta process and pay more attention to the reports. I get too caught up in routing/bridging/module features and I ignore reports. This is bad.
    The *full* CSV dump is provided to all users who can build entirely custom reports. The reality is that making reports is hard and while users like the idea of doing it, they don't really like the idea when they realize its as easy as clicking on a pie chart in excel.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Users yes, but you've also done this to yourselves. The web interfacing from the java and back again requires advanced knowledge of several programming languages in a combination specific to Untangle.

I would have built my own reports engine ages ago if I thought you guys aren't going to bust my chops on it. I'm talking about a full archival server capable of collecting data from multiple Untangles. I have a developer sitting here wanting to get started.

But I'm not about to push that button unless I'm certain I can get some sort of return on it. You guys have mentioned an enhanced reports module before. So without a clear roadmap there is little any external developer can do.

You guys do this to yourselves...

And where is this mythical CSV file you refer to? Summary-Bandwdith-Usage.csv is useless. It only gives me a snapshot of how much data moved through the UVM for a given day, broken down by the minute. Which is a rather nice way to draw a very jagged line... but it doesn't help me.

Total bandwidth in this report is in and of itself deceptive, because it only contains usage that passed through the UVM. Without an engine that reports down to the client level what is that report actually worth?

NOTHING!

It doesn't report all the usage Untangle actually used... and it doesn't give me per user. So that entire chart is worthless.

Now active sessions, top destination ports, those make sense.

Anyway I have to withdraw my previous comments regarding the pie chart referenced by the OP. It no longer advertises itself as a top ten, and is simply named Top Web "blah". Given they are pie charts I find the current renditions to be complete, accurate, and usable. I also support your choice to remove them from the "top 10" idea, because they aren't a top 10. Pie charts just don't work that way.

Untangle reports do a really nice job of tracking per user activity. Everything that traverses the UVM is tracked, logged, and reported efficiently and directly. I don't have any real issue with the reports as a whole, other than the distinct lack of accurate bandwidth statistics.

P.S. Is it really necessary to plug the reports into an iframe? My mouse wheel can't scroll down on the detail reports. Just let the browser be the container.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 08-17-2010 at 04:20 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

This has turned in to one hell of a debate lol

I'm still praying for something along the lines of the reporting barracuda web filter offers video located here:

http://www.barracudanetworks.com/ns/...YF_Reports.mp4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12