Untanglit

Default Who's Bright Idea Was it...

Who's bright idea was it to place an entry in the "Packet Filters" that forced port 22 stay open even on the Ext. interface? I was surprised when I found that entry, especially since that is usually the first thing most router block, much less open.

In all reality, I am not sure the harm it could have possibly caused, but I am sure somebody somewhere may have been affected by this.

What exactly is the issue? You'd rather have to enable the packet filter after manually enabling the ssh service?

If the service isn't running there is zero risk.
    Last edited by mrunkel; 08-24-2010 at 01:26 AM.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I've certainly never had an issue with it, it's one less rule for me to create when enabling SSH access to my Untangle installations. And it makes creating a block rule for traffic bound to the Untangle server on TCP port 22 if it comes from an WAN interface that much easier to insert.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com