Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

are you sure ads are being blocked instead of just not being shown?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I get the astaro block dialogue in place of the ad most times. If i don't see the block dialouge the blocks show up in the logs. They are being blocked.

there is a difference between being block and not being shown.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Dirk,

I am not some network newbie..i understand the difference.

I think what Dirk is saying is that "block" needs to be defined. Is the Astaro box actively refusing to download them from CNN and only downloading non-ad content or is it downloading the ads, thereby tricking CNN into thinking that you have them then replacing them with it's block image when the HTML pages passes from the Astaro box to your web browser?
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Quote Originally Posted by hescominsoon View Post
    Dirk,

I am not some network newbie..i understand the difference.
    and its clear that you haven't investigated either implementation and you're just telling us what you are seeing as a user.

Master Untangler

Yeah, I can watch CNN's videos too with ad blocking enabled. The problem with CNN is several of those subject-specific pages, like "Justice" that won't display at all. On MSNBC's site the videos won't play but ironically the ADS that precede the videos do! Talk about adding insult to injury.

I really don't mind watching an occasional ad to subsidize the content; I've even clicked on germane ads now and then. The reason I like adblocking in general is because of the abundance of pages that are saturated with screaming flashing ads that give you an instant headache. The Weather Channel used to be like that. They had so many extremely distracting ads that you had trouble figuring out where the actual information was.

On a related matter, can anyone tell me where the ad blocking pattern file is kept? I'd like to be able to search/edit it outside the blocking module if possible.

rofl whatever Dirk. It's also clear that when somebody points out anything form a major issue to a minor difference(as the ad blocking is in this case) you can't act professional. If this is how UT is run...it's a blight on UT's otherwise good record. Take a chill Dirk. I know Astaro...I am learning UT. Just because I don't know UT doesn't mean I don't know what i'm talking about with a competitor's product. Since you seem to know it all tell me then what i already know about Astaro's ad blocking..otherwise your just talking out of your backside.

woah. I don't care for a flame war.

I just don't want the OP to get confused by your misinformation.

Let me be clear: Ad blocks BLOCKS ads. I does not do any intelligent page manipulation. I simply blocks the ads from being downloaded. If the logic of the site is coded such that the download of the "ad page" is necessary for the page to render correctly - the page will not be rendered correctly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12