Default Bypass... exceptions?

While helping a new member of this community with his install I wanted to do something I've never done before...

I wanted to bypass EVERYTHING, but create an exception rule that would only push inbound SMTP into the rack. This particular Untangle installation is a bridge in front of Exchange and it's only purpose is to act as a spam filter.

I'm doing the same thing with destination port rules, I have two of them 1-24, and 26-65535. But it's just not as easy to read as a general bypass everything rule would have been, with a rule above it scanning SMTP.

My curiosity, has anyone else needed this sort of bypass all approach first?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

just add a rule that bypasses everything
    then a rule above it that 'unbypasses' all inbound port 25 tcp traffic.

This is why the enable and bypass checkboxes are separate. The "unbypass" rule needs to be enabled with bypass unchecked.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Oh so it's already there... that explains the duplicate tick boxes.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

where is it on 7.4 its missing????

Attachment 3163
    Attachment 3164
    Last edited by dw5304; 09-22-2010 at 01:52 PM.

You no longer have the option of modifying policies in 7.4 without purchasing the policy manager.

You need to use bypass rules instead. config -> networking -> advanced -> bypass.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

thanks for the information.
    Last edited by dw5304; 09-22-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    You no longer have the option of modifying policies in 7.4 without purchasing the policy manager.

You need to use bypass rules instead. config -> networking -> advanced -> bypass.

This may be the case on a fresh install, but from a upgrade, you still have the policy manager for the use of NO Rack.

So as long as they don't change the way the upgrades have been done and remove this somehow, then those who have been upgrading will still have the use of the policy manager for No Rack purpouses.

I have 2 untangle servers and this seems to be the case, because I am upgraded to 7.4.1 and still have the use of the policy manager for the No Rack purpouse.

One question now is why this was taken away for those doing fresh installs? Is there no way to put back the use for No Rack as a free feature as it has been?

Quote Originally Posted by ms308680 View Post

One question now is why this was taken away for those doing fresh installs? Is there no way to put back the use for No Rack as a free feature as it has been?
    Because they are being phased out in favor of bypass rules. Use bypass rules.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com