Thread: Why buy ?

Default Why buy ?

Did any of you girls and guys out there buy the Professional version of Untangle ?

And why should I ?

I mean the free version of Untangle already has most of the features one might want.

Does the upgrade warrant 150-250$ per month ?

mdh

Reasons:

1. Active Directory support
    2. Policy Management
    3. Configuration Backup
    4. Remote Access Portal
    5. Access to some of the most wonderful support people in the world, plus me!

Maybe its not for you. If you need any of the above, maybe it is. That's the beauty of open source.

Ok, let's dig a little deeper.

1. Active Directory support
    Why would I need that ? I can set Exchange not to accept email for any email address that is not in my AD. Is there any other reason why I should need AD support ?

2. Policy Management
    Ok, this one might be a good reason, just not for me.

3. Configuration Backup
    I didn't try it yet, but it seems just as easy to do a non-automated backup once in a while.

4. Remote Access Portal
    This one I don't understand. On Untangle.com it says something about Remote Desktop, is that the "Microsoft" Remote Desktop ? If so where is the added value of Untangle Professional ?

5. Access to some of the most wonderful support people in the world, plus me!
    I agree, but you're pretty active in this forum too, so again, no added value.

I believe it is also the only way to get duel racks...

mdh

And deeper yet...

1. Reporting by username rather than IP. Remote Access Portal access tied to username. Future use.

2. Fair enough. Just make sure you can predict when different users have different requirements/restrictions.

3. You're right in some cases. If you leave your USB drive in the box and its stolen or catches fire, you're hosed. If you have Untangle hardware and need a emergency replacement, we can ship pre-configured so you just drop it in place. Several customers have been up and running next day after a severe crash with a pre-configured box we shipped to them thanks to this feature.

4. Read more on features. RDP is one of the features.

5. My presence here is a function of availability, as is the case with all of us. Some days I have no chances. Paid customers must take first priority.

mdh

Dual racks is the networking aspect of policy management.

If it isnt for you, dont buy it, that simple, for other those features may be required, or more then worth the price vs potential down time, or time taken to figure out why something doesnt work...