20100054 System reboot Mail
    20110030 All uplinks are offline Mail
    20110046 Uplinks are online Mail
    20110054 Uplink is dead Mail
    20110066 Uplink back Mail
    20200018 SSH login successful Mail
    20200024 SSH login failed Mail
    20300014 Disk almost full

Web SSH Console. A ssh console build into the admin web page instead of using an ssh client

of course endian has ipsec which has been asked for I noticed.

Scheduled backups to file on the utm hard drive

Vlans

Proxys:

http
    pop3
    ftp
    smtp
    dns

And live logging:
    Antivirus
    Content filter
    Firewall
    Webserver
    OpenVPN
    SMTP Proxy
    Intrusion detection
    Web proxy
    System

Seems like Endian has more features then Untangle.

Although it doesn't come close to untangle as far as interface.

Anyways, would be nice if untangle had those extra features.

I've setup and run several Endian boxes...years ago. It was a great distro (probably still is). It started out life as a groomed version of IPCop, with the Copfilter add-in.

Hence why you see those proxy's which you think Untangle should have for some reason. But Untangle scans traffic differently than Copfilter does.

Untangle has something better than ondisk backups....it can backup offsite, which is logically better if you think about your hard drive having failure..how good is that backup file on a failed HDD, hmmm?

Live loggings for those features...check out each module in the Untangle GUI, it's right there.

I supposed for the mail notifications, that's down to an individual preference...I don't like having my blackberry vibrate with more mail than necessary.

Endian has been around for a long time, back when I last used it it was quite a polished package...but then I was only comparing IPCop w/Copfilter as a comparison...as I was just getting into learning about UTMs.

But here's something Untangle has over Endian..head on over to Endians support forums, http://www.efwsupport.com
    A lot of posts....but what's alarming....is the high amount desperately seeking help posts with "0 replies". And since I haven't visited that forum in quite a few years, it is substantially more active than it was not long ago. But it's still dead!
    Yeah...you're pretty much on your own.

Master Untangler

I wasn't saying endian is better then untangle, as they both have their pro's and con's
    I was saying these are features untangle should have

first,
    ipsec which you forgot
    and I've noticed several people have mentioned

SSH web console which untangle does not have
    and you forgot to address ssh as well

oh ya, and a simple switch to open up SSH instead of going into the console. which is deemed a security risk. but everyone else does it. even sonic wall.

backup to hard drive or USB. Should have that option as well as offsite backup. and it should be free.

Live logging. I've seen nothing live on untangle. Even the new live bandwidth controller is not live. "realtime" you have to keep pushing refresh. auto refreshing is not realtime. like ajax, or callback

Mail notifications, I've seen several people ask for, especially on the intrusion detection. Just because you don't like notifications, doesn't mean others think like you.

Support. yes is much better with untangle. I agree. As I like untangle better. I'd like to see it thrive.

Anyways, your view on things seems skewed and in absolutes.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would like these features so I'm sure I'm not on my own
    aside from me seeing the posts from other people over the years for them.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow
    Last edited by vertigo262; 11-22-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by vertigo262 View Post
    backup to hard drive or USB. Should have that option as well as offsite backup. and it should be free.

Live logging. I've seen nothing live on untangle. Even the new live bandwidth controller is not live. "realtime" you have to keep pushing refresh.

Mail notifications, I've seen several people ask for, especially on the intrusion detection. Just because you don't like notifications, doesn't mean others think like you.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would like these features so I'm sure I'm not on my own
    aside from me seeing the posts from other people over the years for them.
    Ahhhhhh the joy of open source. I like you wanted each one of these things.

This is why I scripted each....sure I could have kept what I did to myself, but I figured there may be others out there as well that might want these features like I do so I put this together for YOU!!!

offsite backup:
    http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/1...ig-backup.html

Intrusion detection alerting:
    http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/1...g-3-steps.html

And oh yeah the events section under each GUI has an auto refresh button to be able to see action live. And now with the addition of the session viewer in 8, I rarely have to visit the command line because everything I need is right there.

Master Untangler

This is great. I'm going to try it on a test box.

Like I said. Listen to the people. LOL

I wish I knew more then asp.net, I'd contribute.

Thanks bigdesert