Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Untangler

Default 7.4 was better than 8.0

8.0 .... couple months after 7.4 I decided to go with 8.0, but I believe even after those release candidates 8.0 stable is not really "stable" ...

(my server is NOT modified somehow, it is pure installation)

Here is the issues,

** Session viewer doesn't work all the time (I saw many other posts about it so it is not only my issue) if I got lucky I can see active sessions.

** Reports became very slow

** Name map on reports doesn't work (even after a reboot or at next report generation)

** My server' fan won't stop, it wasn't the same with 7.4, I can feel the load just by the sound of the fan (fan is on even with long idle periods)

** New block pages are terrible, especially web filter ones.

I am thinking to downgrade to 7.4 and this 8.0... for me it is a disappointment,

thanks.

psst - none of these things were changed
    read here:
    http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/8.0_Changelog

well, the session viewer is new, but if you prefer not having it at all you can certainly accomplish that by not clicking on it.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    psst - none of these things were changed
    read here:
    http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/8.0_Changelog
    I can feel the difference between two just by couple logins into gui, maybe it is not listed but CLEARLY there is a big performance difference between two on mentioned particular subjects...

Reports, is not changed ?? we can "force" the reports for an early generation? Am I wrong?

forgot to mention, also under hosts there is dozens of unrelated IPs.
    Last edited by untangler1; 12-03-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by untangler1 View Post
    ** Session viewer doesn't work all the time (I saw many other posts about it so it is not only my issue) if I got lucky I can see active sessions.
    This was addressed by a bug file (http://bugzilla.untangle.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8292) and should be fixed in 8.1

forgot to mention, also under hosts there is dozens of unrelated IPs.
    Explain better please, can be the source of the "performance" problem you see
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Untangler

I was hoping to get some screen-shots but no luck from distant location, basically some IPs (not VPN clients or not usual LAN IP order), also

two things I need to mention, reports are slow maybe it has something to do with extended data retention period?

and system load, I can feel my server wasn't same with 7.4 (fan), obviously cpu temp is going up and fan kicks in, it is a fresh install and no mods or extras,

when I get back to UT machine I will post some screen-shots.

Master Untangler

what are your average system loads? You can check them on the reports

I was hoping to get some screen-shots but no luck from distant location, basically some IPs (not VPN clients or not usual LAN IP order), also

two things I need to mention, reports are slow maybe it has something to do with extended data retention period?

and system load, I can feel my server wasn't same with 7.4 (fan), obviously cpu temp is going up and fan kicks in, it is a fresh install and no mods or extras,

when I get back to UT machine I will post some screen-shots.
    What is "report slow"? The on line reports for yesterday or another day/period?
    What is the delay from the last click to view the screen?

For the fan issue, can be a change in the envoirment temp? or a secondary (not the micro processor fan) fan defective or obstructed?
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Untangler

I just got this when I click HOSTS on Reports

Also the issue is when this script kicks in I can see lots of disc activity (swap file) because firefox inflates the memory usage enormously. This has something to do with a possible bug in .js First machine is a Win7 firefox, second is an XP firefox

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://192.168.0.197/ext/ext-all-deb...1289436187:446

from both distant location via vpn and inside LAN, different computers, different network,

What is "report slow"? The on line reports for yesterday or another day/period?
    What is the delay from the last click to view the screen?
    Report slow means, compared to 7.4 when I click or visit /reports It takes almost 10secs to load, 7.4 it was almost instant.

For the fan issue, can be a change in the envoirment temp? or a secondary (not the micro processor fan) fan defective or obstructed?
    Sure thing! Living in Canada, 7.4 used to be in upstairs with 24C ambient (chassis fan was idle speed), now 8.0 is downstairs basement, almost 12C ambient (chassis fan at full speed)! My server is brand new build. Fan defect is not the issue because chassis fan is winbond chip controlled, same machine 7.4 chassis fan was at idle speed, 8.0 it is at its full speed.
    Last edited by untangler1; 12-04-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Untangler

As of today when I try to access reports;

Internal server error
    Bad gateway
    method not found (session may have timed out)

I got these errors

Is there any way to maybe flush database or re-start reporting engine from zero ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast