Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another First?

watch your pm's...

Yeah I got it, ended up creating an account anyway as I needed the mac versions for the customer. Of course, there ARE no mac versions for the server...

So I just yanked a 1U Xeon server they used to use for surveillance... it's been inactive for almost a year. It'll have to do, I have no idea what the specs are but it's about to get a 32bit install of CentOS on it so I can get the linux media server online. Thanks for the suggestion!

Now... to get around the 30min limitation on the http streaming... probably going to have to do a raw stream and use VLC or something similar to receive on the far end.

You know, if I didn't have to have all this magic lined up, tested, and working, with no budget before Christmas this would be fun. Oh who am I kidding, I love impossible problems, and I don't lose often. So I'm in the zone!

I also enjoyed perhaps a bit too much, sending an e-mail to the client informing them that the Macs were a liability because this process in Adobe's world is a Linux thing, with a Windows backup plan, and Mac isn't even on the radar.

So Windows based hardware, software that wants linux, all running on a Mac... the irony runs deep!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Yeah I got it, ended up creating an account anyway as I needed the mac versions for the customer. Of course, there ARE no mac versions for the server...

So I just yanked a 1U Xeon server they used to use for surveillance... it's been inactive for almost a year. It'll have to do, I have no idea what the specs are but it's about to get a 32bit install of CentOS on it so I can get the linux media server online. Thanks for the suggestion!

Now... to get around the 30min limitation on the http streaming... probably going to have to do a raw stream and use VLC or something similar to receive on the far end.

You know, if I didn't have to have all this magic lined up, tested, and working, with no budget before Christmas this would be fun. Oh who am I kidding, I love impossible problems, and I don't lose often. So I'm in the zone!

I also enjoyed perhaps a bit too much, sending an e-mail to the client informing them that the Macs were a liability because this process in Adobe's world is a Linux thing, with a Windows backup plan, and Mac isn't even on the radar.

So Windows based hardware, software that wants linux, all running on a Mac... the irony runs deep!
    There's not a 30 minute limit unless you use a dynamic stream or something. I had one going for 6 hours.

I wish to formally state here and for all eternity...

RED HAT IS A USELESS COLLECTION OF MONKEYS THAT CAN'T SUCCESSFULLY COMPILE A HELLO WORLD APPLICATION IF THEIR LIVES DEPENDED ON IT.

Ok, now that is out of my system... I hate Red Hat...

I swear, if another Red Hat based anything linux comes into my orbit and the installer just decides it's a good idea to NOT FORMAT the drives I told it to format, I'm going to get my 12 gauge, drive to their corporate HQ and blow someone's gray matter all over the wall.

Never, not once have I had a Debian based linux system argue with me on something this fundamental... Partition the drive and format it... even Microsoft has that process down to three keystrokes... oh wait, with Win7 / Server 2008 it's down to a double click! This isn't' rocket science... oy...

Curse you Adobe for forcing me to use CentOS to gain official support for Adobe Flash Media Server...

Stepping off the rant box... time to make this box actually do something more than spin these 25k rpm turbines in my ear.

*Edit*

Oh for all of posterity...

Note to self... when creating partitions pay attention to the unit of measure. There is a rather large difference between 356mb and 356gb.

And now my wife is wondering if this server has been whining in my ear too long... because when I noticed my error I just started laughing maniacally for about 5min.. Oh man I need sleep.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 12-11-2010 at 01:03 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Put a VCR and coax cable , more easy
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

A VCR over Coaxial cable doesn't connect to facilities together that are separated by almost 40miles of city.

I have the flash media server online, I have the admin console up...

I have the Flash media encoder connecting to the live application... I just can't figure out how to view the stream at this point.
    NexgenAppliances.com

you need flash itself to generate the flash movie so you can then hook to the stream on the server..for that you'll need the adobe flash trial..since it was a one off for me I only needed to make the application once..then anytime i need it i jsut re-enable to webpage on iis..point a browser at the page in general and viola i have a streaming flash site..

Buried in the FMS installation is a sample player, once that player was configured it worked just fine.

Now I just need to write an HTML with a meta redirect header to make accessing the player easier... but at this point I have a solution that is operable enough to deliver.

Time to start pushing that 100mbit pipe!
    NexgenAppliances.com

relaly? when you get that built can you let me know how yo did it?

Not that hard really, there is a sample's directory in the installation that has a videoplayer folder in it.

All I did was copy that directory into the webroot folder, renamed it player, then made an index.html that did a meta tag redirect to videoplayer.htm.

That way when you hit http://ipofFMS/player, it redirects to the appropriate file.

The sample player has a URL builder that can configure the onscreen player... it doesn't look pretty, but it works. And more importantly I can have guys in the field trained to attach to different streams by showing them how to change the appropriate spot.

Sometime later time permitting I think I'll try and strip down that sample player to just the video window and the URL builder.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast