Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm using zimbra at my church right now instead of exchange. I'm currently the using the oss free edition and it fills the need just fine..however the instant you need the enhanced featureset zimbra's pricing is NOT advantageous until you get into thousands of mailboxes..at least not for a small npo like my church. If we need additional functionality we'll head to exchange.

Yeah... Exchange in the SBS format is really hard to whip price wise. And Zimbra is really the only true alternative on the shelf.

Anyway, I didn't mean to be insulting in the previous post.

I use the word fool, because the definition fits! And I say the definition fits because I've been through a nasty Exchange 2007 failure...

The only Exchange 2007 server I have in service belongs to a church, my largest local client, and they have about 60 mailboxes. It isn't a huge deployment as far as exchange goes but they are large enough, and taking full advantage of Microsoft's obscene nonprofit discounts... they have a network that comprises of several servers all of which are beyond their normal service life.

SRV-Shelby (AD, DNS, MSSQL (fuels Shelby), print server, DHCP)
    Exchange (AD, DNS, Exchange)
    SRV-Info (member server, 2tb internal array, manages the batteries)
    SRV-Arena (IIS, Terminal Services)
    fms (CentOS 5.3 64bit, runs Adobe Flash Media server, this one is new and quite fun)

All of the boxes are running Windows 2003 64bit except FMS. The Adobe software really runs much better on linux, and I had a 1u server there that used to do surveillance... since it's been powered off for over a year I figured.. meh pave it and put it to use.

Anyway, as you can see I have two AD servers, I refuse to use SMB simply because I won't put AD in service without that second server... the Exchange failure / recovery I'm about to describe will give you a reason why!

The RAID 5 array in the Exchange server had two drives fall out of sync one day... poof... gone... that's that. No failed drives, all western digital desktop drives that had no business in a server... but such is life.

I brought the server back to live using a simple mirror, I didn't think of putting Exchange's datastore on a new drive at the time but I did partition it so if they ever give me the budget to install a second mirror it can be done easily.

So Exchange is dead, I have another AD server still doing logins, but no mail. The exchange server has 2 hard disks in it that are rather small, 80gb I think. Just junkers I had laying around I tossed in there. The first gets a datastore backup every night fresh from Exchange, the second holds a copy of the previous night's backup. So the "backup" process for the thing is NT Backup (can't do this with 2007 server BTW) putting the files on drive 1 just after I copy the files about to be replaced to drive two.

So the server is toast, but I have two solid backups of the datastore...

Recovery was this...

1.) Rebuild Mirror
    2.) Install Windows
    3.) Patch Windows
    4.) Promote it to a DC
    5.) Run exchange setup (there is a command switch required, essentially an unattended install based on the settings already in AD, you won't be able to install normally, and if you google the error it pukes you'll find out the correct switch really quickly, I just don't remember at the moment)
    6.) Use NT backup to restore the datastore
    7.) Use the maintenance tools to replay the transaction logs on the restored datastore
    8.) Mount datastore and start Exchange services.

From end to end, that nightmare was about 4 hours. I've never had an Exchange 2003 server go down that far and come back up. At least not this easily... I did NO reconfiguration, it got it all, first shot.

That to me is worth it all right there... it's repairable.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Why not disaster recovery?
    Full NT backup, all disks, IS, and system state
    The recover is installing a 2003 basic with the drivers for hardware, and a full restore.
    Its the better method I use when need to change the hardware
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

There's easier ways.. just use an image..

In the same hardware yes, but acronis is not freeware
    And I never trust in an image of information store or sql database, I prefer the tools provided by the manufacturer.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Clonezilla works fine for Untangle.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    There isn't one inch of the product that isn't improved..
    I can name at least one..."message tracking center" from Tools. Took twenty eight steps backwards. At least twenty eight steps.

Yes OWA is better, but I've been installing Exchange...And OWA...since 5.5...each new release always gets the "ooohs" and the "aaaahs" with OWA...so nuttin new there really. I'm sitting here remembering installing Web Access for Exchange 5.5 for a valve production plant on a Pentium 166 or something as the IIS stand between (used to be on a separate box back then..wasn't built into Exchange).
    Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 12-22-2010 at 04:51 PM.

The system requirements for MS platforms have similarly exploded. The new sbs requires 10 gigs ram and a quad core cpu..ouchies. The essentials is much lighter though.
    Last edited by hescominsoon; 12-22-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hescominsoon View Post
    The system requirements for MS platforms have similarly exploded. The new sbs requires 10 gigs ram and a quad core cpu..ouchies. The essentials is much lighter though.
    "Requires 8 gigs". 10 is recommended.

you never go with MS's reqs. You always add more. Their minimums won't even serve 5 users typically. Hence my statement. I have one client running sbs 2k8 with 6 machines and users, MS says i can use 4..i have 8 in the box with a quad opty in it.
    Last edited by hescominsoon; 12-23-2010 at 06:36 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast