Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Suggestion: add DavMail Server as an app

Looking at the Sourceforge Top 25 for December, I see the DavMail package listed. Since we run Exchange in our organization and many folks have smart phones, having the DavMail server as an app on our Untangle gateway would allow much better access to mail / calendar / contacts for my mobile users.

DaveL

Untangler

Would be nice feature.
    There some other essential gateway functions that i am missing ie pptp, ipsec, reverse-proxy ...

Umm... or we can simply get those Exchange users to upgrade to Exchange 2007/2010. OWA on those products has been improved to such a degree that you don't NEED DavMail or anything else like it.

Heck, Exchange 2010 OWA officially supports firefox, for crying out loud!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Umm... or we can simply get those Exchange users to upgrade to Exchange 2007/2010.
    True, I guess (haven't really researched the newer versions) but: small business, solidly working Exchange 2003 installation. Haven't had the desire to spend dinero to fix what ain't broke, especially since what I recall of the 2007 / 2010 new features didn't really seem to offer anything notably useful to my company.

DaveL

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL60 View Post
    Haven't had the desire to spend dinero to fix what ain't broke, especially since what I recall of the 2007 / 2010 new features didn't really seem to offer anything notably useful to my company.

DaveL
    Except of course markedly improved remote access.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Exchange 2007/2010 have massively improved disaster recovery tools. Infinitely better backup / restore APIs, and insanely better OWA. Not to mention incredibly flexible out of the box anti-spam tools.

There isn't one inch of the product that isn't improved.

IMHO, if you are still operating on Exchange 2003 you are a fool. Yes, it is THAT good. The differences between exchange 2007 and 2010 make me want to upgrade... 2003 makes me want to do my own dentistry anytime I have to work on it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Exchange 2007/2010 have massively improved disaster recovery tools. Infinitely better backup / restore APIs, and insanely better OWA. Not to mention incredibly flexible out of the box anti-spam tools.

There isn't one inch of the product that isn't improved.

IMHO, if you are still operating on Exchange 2003 you are a fool. Yes, it is THAT good. The differences between exchange 2007 and 2010 make me want to upgrade... 2003 makes me want to do my own dentistry anytime I have to work on it.
    All right , but dont forget a little detail:
    The pricey license!!!, and one change force other, you enjoy view exchange 2010 with outlook 2003?
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

If you're using exchange, the licensing price shouldn't be in the equation.

There are many less expensive alternatives that don't quite hit the Exchange mark... but work. If you've deployed Exchange and not budgeted for it's expensive upkeep... you've failed.

There really isn't any other way to slice it. And that is the primary reason why I don't deploy Exchange very often.
    NexgenAppliances.com

I have a lot of exchange 2003 deployed.
    All of them in small bussines from 20 to 150 users.
    And all of them I need to fight very hard with owners, cio´s and managers to accept increase the budget for thinks that are "working well", they dont understand massively improved disaster recovery tools. Infinitely better backup / restore APIs, and insanely better OWA. Not to mention incredibly flexible out of the box anti-spam tools.
    Thanks to robustness of windows 2003 this year I only can sell 2 windows 2008, and was for hardware issues.
    I understand the life cycle of technology, know the advantages and needs of use the last, but the budget in small bussines here in the 3 world its only to replace the broken.
    My avatar will not let me lie
    Last edited by dwasserman; 12-18-2010 at 02:33 PM.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL60 View Post
    Looking at the Sourceforge Top 25 for December, I see the DavMail package listed. Since we run Exchange in our organization and many folks have smart phones, having the DavMail server as an app on our Untangle gateway would allow much better access to mail / calendar / contacts for my mobile users.

DaveL
    That's not a security function and this is a security appliance. There's other distros that inspire to do that..clearos is one..or zentyal..to start.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast