Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a "PC"

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    I can pretty much guarantee that any sort of enforcement will not be a 'hard cut-off' type of control.

We're not planning to count IPs and shut off any IPs over the limit.
    Can I ask what you are planning? I don't want to violate any licenses here (it's bad for my carer) and the $1080 a yr for 11 - 50 systems with a Premium package is more than I think I'm willing to spend for home (I have enough reoccurring cost as it is).

So if I can license the software and get what I need for the systems I need it for, I'm willing to fork out the money. If I have to buy more licenses than I need for what I really want then I'll stick with the Open Source and cobble together other software to get what I want.

Bottom line, I'm just trying to understand what my options are for now and the reasonable future. Because I really like what you guys have here, and how close it mimic's the enterprise stuff I'm used to dealing with. It makes my inner security geek happy
    -Brian
    CISSP, GAIC-GSEC

I'm not an Untangle employee, and I certainly don't have a direct line on what they are thinking. However, Untangle was created partly because of the per node hard licensing crap. Specifically, what happened to all of Sonicwall's customers the last time thier licensing server went down?

My understanding, Untangle is aiming for two license enforcement goals.

1.) Shutdown all paid applications when the sub expires. No more free time until upgrade.
    2.) Identify and disable people that are in blatant violation of the licensing.

I don't think Untangle cares about a home network that may be a device or two over sometimes. What they care about are commercial networks buying that 1-10 user license and running 200 people though it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I'm not going to discuss specifics on license enforcement for obvious reasons.

I will say this: If you license the Untangle for the number of people protected at any one time, you should never have an issue.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    I will say this: If you license the Untangle for the number of people protected at any one time, you should never have an issue.
    Thank you! That is clarity!
    -Brian
    CISSP, GAIC-GSEC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12