Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a "PC"

Untangler

Question What is a "PC"

Hello everyone, I know this sounds stupid but what is a "PC" in terms of the untangle license?

The reason I ask is I currently run untangle as my home FW, however being a IT security guy my home network looks a little more like an enterprise network than an average home network, so I have things like a Windows Domain, Exchange Server, etc... Therefore I can use certain functions in untangle beyond the open source version, and there are just some other ones that I would like to have.

Now I ask what is a "PC" because as well as having our computers (I know Windows/Mac/Linux would all count as a PC), we have things such as Xbox's, Wii's, DirectTV, and Smart Phones. When I include all of them my count goes above 10 "PC's", so my question is... do they count? And if they do (or don't) what would happen to them being able to access the internet out the firewall if I only bought a 1-10 PC license?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by bigcheeze; 02-13-2011 at 09:27 AM.
    -Brian
    CISSP, GAIC-GSEC

There is no enforcement of user counts. That part of the licensing is all honor based.

I consider PC to be an electronic device that benefits from the protections of Untangle. Do game consoles fall in that category? Does your TV?

I've personally limited my counting to things that run Windows, Linux, or Mac. Actually user oriented operating systems.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks sky-night, that makes sense and helps my decision.
    -Brian
    CISSP, GAIC-GSEC

To be sure, make a call with the sales people of Untangle.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    There is no enforcement of user counts. That part of the licensing is all honor based.
    At the moment.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle Ninja

I was just going to ask this very question. I'm working on a project to offer an untangle appliance to all my customers, many of whom are in the 5-10 PC range. But they have other devices on their networks like printers, network scanners, etc. that will of course ask for an IP and show up in the ARP tables, etc., but don't actually access the internet. This of course answers my question.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    At the moment.
    So it seems it will be "enforced" at a later time. Which I'm ok with BTW. So my question is, could I make multiple racks and only have my PC's use the one that has the paid apps in it, while anything else would use another rack that only has the open source apps?

Again, thanks for your answers and help.
    -Brian
    CISSP, GAIC-GSEC

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    At the moment.

How about upping to 15 IPs for us guys that have Apple TV, 2 Tivos, Roku and 3 iPads and 2 Blue-Ray players. Then we need to count the normal PC/Linux/ 4 Macs all on a HOME network. It is 2011.

I can pretty much guarantee that any sort of enforcement will not be a 'hard cut-off' type of control.

We're not planning to count IPs and shut off any IPs over the limit.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

I forgot the Xbox and Wii. he he

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast