Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Feature request: UT server down notification

Hello,

I just installed my first untangle server for a customer a few weeks ago. I've been monitoring it remotely once or twice a day just to feel myself comfortably knowing the server is alive.

I was thinking, if the server could report itself to untangle.com, in a similar way it does for the Configuration Backup application, service in untangle.com could notice a down server (after a few minutes of no news from it) and notify by mail the administrator(s) about the situation, and a solution might be in progress before customer complains.

Furthermore, the server could be configured to reboot itself up to a couple of times after a few minutes of not being able to communicate to the untangle.com service, to try to restore the service.

Thanks for the great product you've made

This is an excellent idea.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

I'm good with the monitoring, assuming it's another option to turn on and off. However, I don't want Untangle rebooting because the Internet is down. That would just add another obstacle to troubleshooting the connection.

Anyway, this is one step closer to a central management console. Any steps in that direction get my vote!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Ya, a quick txt to the admin that it hasn't been seen in 10 minutes would be cool. I wouldn't want it repeating it every 10 minutes though. Possibly a user set interval?

- Time server must be online before notification kicks in? 6hrs, 1 day?
    - Time for first notification? 5min, 10min, 30min
    - Time for second and tertiary notifications? 1hr, 4hr, 8hr?

I would expect it to be manually turned on, or most likely a pay service. You wouldn't want every home and small business untangle machine notifying your server when it goes down and then you sending out a notification at least i don't think you would?
    Steven Keyser
    PC Fix-IT Shop / Tech Integrators
    www.pcfixitshop.com

It would be a logical extension of the support module, like the live backup.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Your idea is very similar to the "paging/text/email" concept that is built into Nagios.

Master Untangler

If Untangle had this feature it would save me running Nagios on my server to monitor. Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    It would be a logical extension of the support module, like the live backup.
    Yes, I taught so when this idea came to my mind.
    Last edited by vladmx; 02-21-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I'm good with the monitoring, assuming it's another option to turn on and off. However, I don't want Untangle rebooting because the Internet is down. That would just add another obstacle to troubleshooting the connection.
    Reboot should happens only once or twice after server determines connection to Internet is lost (nobody wants a server rebooting in a loop ) and, of course, this should be configurable (rebooting as an option to fix the things should be carefully considered, not the default option). But having the option to do it would be better than having just the desire to do it, when convenient for a specific server.

Thank you all for your commentaries.

No automatic reboots, please. That should be human-initiated. It would be nice to be able to tell it to do that as part of the notification, but of course if we had the connectivity required for that work we wouldn't be getting a notification in the first place
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast