Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Was this professional behavior?

Guess you should take a look at this....

Code:
    wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=293817
    Last edited by Fish; 02-25-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Master Untangler

I cannot answer for the mods... and don't want to. My question to you is this: is it professional of you to splash your angst across other boards?

Untangle is an excellent product. When I've needed help, I have found nothing but great response here from not only employees, but lots of other users. Though I don't know what happened with your situation, I can say that your ranting about Untangle is absolutely uncalled for.

Untangle Ninja

Actually, if he's legit I can see where he'd have justification for being angry.
    He actually hasn't said anything to terrible over there and is sporting over 800 posts.

He'd has an odd way of crafting his sig all over the net if he's not a referrer but hey different strokes.
    The fact that he thought to take screenshots is kinda odd too.

I don't know, I for one, feel kinda crappy at this point.

At the very least maybe someone should un-ban his ip, invite him back and tell him no sigs for a while until he establishes himself.

Ya know, I thought I'd see that user before.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com
    Last edited by fasttech; 02-25-2011 at 07:47 AM.

@RBoynton

It's obviously a condition of the members here to make crass judgements about new posters. I'm neither the OP or a use of Untangle. I just happen to be a member of Wilders and it struck me that someone needed to say something!

His account was automatically banned based on user flagging of his posts and the number of links in his signature.

I have emailed the user directly.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    His account was automatically banned based on user flagging of his posts and the number of links in his signature.

I have emailed the user directly.
    Agreed, it's a bit lame having all that crap in ones sig, but it also says a bit about your users, if they were the ones to complain.

fax

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Agreed, it's a bit lame having all that crap in ones sig, but it also says a bit about your users, if they were the ones to complain.
    btw, from the screenshot the signature seems not containing any active links... just text (or not?). So, difficult to mix it with a spam/ad user.

established community members being skeptical of new people?
    forums users complaining about other forum users?
    someone made a mistake on the internet?

i'm sure this is the first time these things have ever happened.

for real though guys, things happen - i see no evidence of employees condescending or making fun of anyone, so let's stop the cycle of knee-jerk reactions, shall we?

as for the original question:

port 80 is not open by default on the External Interface.
    port 443 is open on the External Interface by default for remote administration, but even if you do have the credentials to log in with, External Administration is disabled by default.

i used to be obsessive about stealing ports (thanks GRC), dropping pings and all sorts of other ridiculous things, until i realized it's much more trouble than its worth when you have a problem and the machine isn't replying to pings because you disabled it. security by obscurity may help sometimes, but actually being secure helps too =)
    Last edited by hlarsen; 02-25-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: might as well answer the original question

Wow, welcome all the wilders security folks.

I can assure you that they were links. I saw the posts myself but since I was offsite I couldn't edit his signature to get them out. I left it figuring I'd deal with it this morning, but the spambot dealt with it for me.

In any case, I've lifted the ban off his IP so he is welcome back.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

I reported his thread as a spammer, because that is what he was.

His signature was a crapton, and I mean that completely of links. Yes the links were good, and they were pushing good products. But that means nothing, he had no less than 10 links in his signature.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast