Lightbulb Feature Request - Browser in webui

I would like to see a simple web browser built directly into the web ui for remote administration. I picture it in the troubleshooting section.

I run multiple remote locations over cable/dsl connections and often would love to be able to access the web interface of the cable/dsl modem. The only thing on the network that is directly connected to the modem is untangle so no other devices can connect.

It is usually a hassle (at best) to set up remote administration in both the modem and the untangle router so I settle for just untangle. My other option as I see it would be to plug another computer directly into the modem which I can remote into and then access the web interface of the modem from there; but that is also a big hassle and a waste of a pc.

I think it would be amazing if you guys could integrate a super simple browser directly into the ui for this purpose.

Untangler

Hm. I can see my cable modem from any machine in the network. Well maybe not on the other side of a site to site vpn. But I never tried that. Don't remember setting up anything to do that. The modem is at 192.168.100.1 and my network is 10.x.x.x/24.

Don

I just RDP to a server on the network in question and open a browser from there. What you're asking for would be nice, but it's kinda hard. Untangle would need a local proxy.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by matkordell View Post
    The only thing on the network that is directly connected to the modem is untangle so no other devices can connect.
    perhaps you ought to be asking how to solve that problem. I can't think of any reason why any box on the internal network wouldn't be able to talk to the modem's admin page. unless you've set the lan ip subnet to the same as the modem's ip subnet, but then you probably wouldn't be able to access it from anywhere, not even untangle.

My cable modem goes dark after a few hours... not Untangle's fault but the thing's web console just won't render unless I reboot the modem first.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Every basic cable modem I have Untangle setup behind, or any NAT router for that matter, the web management of the cable modem comes up fine from a computer on the LAN. Example..192.168.100.1 for Motorola Surfboards...even if your LAN is 10.1.1.xxx. It's the DSL modems/gateways, with PPPoE, that one cannot do that with..unless what's attached to it has the same IP range as the modems LAN interface.
    Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 04-20-2011 at 07:30 AM.

For the record, 192.168.100.1 doesn't just work with Motorola Surfboards, that address is part of the DOCSIS 2.0 specification and any fully DOCSIS 2.0 compliant device will respond to it.

Here's a hint for supporting your cable customers... export 192.168.100.1/32. That way the site is available over the VPN.
    NexgenAppliances.com