Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Payroll for any sane organization is outsourced or run through ADP's software or something similar.
    We have a sister company that switched to ADP, after the sales rep "showed them" how "wonderful" the system is (we just became a sister company within the last couple months), I can tell you that if you have a round peg for accounting ADP is your cup of tea, but if you have a non-profit organization with any modifications or extensive fringe packages, ADP is the round hole and we are square. The reports dont work, they try to create them but can not wrap their head around how to do it! Basically their folks get lost in how the companies work together on benefits, and split salary levels based on grants they are employed by..etc.

So if you have a very basic payroll, by all means you are a round peg and go to ADP, but if you have any customization to your payroll....you have to find a product and create your own customizations!

As stated we are a square peg that just has not found a way to work with ADP's round hole! So obviously we are not "sane organizations".... Which believe it or not I have been told before!

Well no solution is perfect. But the Intuit solution is not acceptable to me. I've seen entirely too many Quickbooks based businesses fail in the last three years due to massive irregularities with that engine's reporting. When the IRS descends on you like a vulture because Quickbooks screwed up guess who's holding the bag?

Also, the training issue isn't a real argument. If you have an employee that is trained in accounting and knows how to keep books learning to use a new application is trivial. If you have an employee that only knows Quickbooks, they shouldn't be touching your financials anyway. These are the people that cause the Quickbooks bugs, and they aren't educated enough to notice the error until you're in the hole for thousands of dollars in penalties.

Sorry, been there and done that watched many families suffer too.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    If you have an employee that only knows Quickbooks, they shouldn't be touching your financials anyway.
    Agreed wholeheartedly, but in reality for small business, this is the case far too often.

To get back on track with the OP, I do not like QB either and I really tried to get into some of the opensource accounting packages mentioned, but found the community there lacking. I would like to help development, with one of these accounting projects to fill these holes, and help to get them accepted by other Certified Public Accountants.

Oh tell me about it, a simple question on xtuple forums has gone unanswered for a week now. So I'm really at a loss. I'll get it figured out, perhaps some of us Untanglers can get together and make something work.

I've got a buddy here locally that is a CPA, and he's loving the accounting module. I wouldn't be brave enough to even attempt this without his backup. So I'm going to continue on this path.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Well that is comforting to know there are other CPA's out there exploring the open-source accounting packages world. Maybe I will give it a second look and report back here...

Oh the answer to that is simple... desperation!

The CPA in question hasn't been able to find stable employment for almost three years. He's relocated to Phoenix from the Portland area in an attempt to fix that. He was managing a tax office, until they terminated him for being unwilling to be dishonest.

Anyway, he hasn't the money to license Quickbooks, and he needs something to keep books in so he can try to do some bookkeeping on the side. He's been playing with xTuple for a month now. He's waiting on me to overcome a few technical hurdles...

Like figuring out what the heck this te thing is.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Small update, the TE thing I couldn't find before is the Time and Expense Lite module that comes with the xTuple installer. Once I new the name, updating it was as trivial as the other DB updates. Now I have a fully updated and operational xTuple installation.

My wife is so not happy with all the data entry we're about to go through... but this app just has too many toys in it for us to ignore.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

I am still evaluating this app as well. The technology guy in me likes it, but the accountant in me sees some issues. Specifically, with data entry methods when compared to QB. Also, QB does have some specific accounting tools which are nice for analyzing data.

I feel as if I have a specific schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder on this issue....

I understand completely, I think that's part of the xTuple culture...

As for the accounting weirdness, I've seen similar stuff in use all over. Once you get out of Quickbooks, this stuff is pretty normal.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

True, many acct packages do things different.

I am familiar with Accpac and many other of Sage's products which also contain some of these analytical accounting tools. Installing and setting up Accpac is how we started into the accounting software side of things, but clients started insisting on QB regardless of our advise.

I am not giving up yet. I really want to like xTuple so I am going to extend my evaluation of it and use it for awhile in a test environment.

I would love to get a small business up and running leveraging some good open-source tools. ie Untangle, LibreOffice, ??accounting package??, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast