Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default We are beyond spoiled...

I'm trying to get my brain wrapped around xTuple, because I refuse to be an Intuit slave.

Their forums are hard to navigate, impossible to search, and no where near as responsive as we have it here. It's amazing what you get used to, and what you take for granted.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

See we agree for the 2nd time within a week.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

PCS
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    See we agree for the 2nd time within a week.
    Somebody better knock on wood.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I'm trying to get my brain wrapped around xTuple, because I refuse to be an Intuit slave.
    You don't like Openbravo?

That project is a bit over commercialized. I'm sure I can find what I need, but there you have it.

Also, it's far easier to implement and maintain a product whos server is nothing more than a DB server. No web server to worry about securing or configuring.

Besides, I really am not interested in "ERP" specifically. I just need a competent Accounting package that isn't Intuit prisonware.

I *loved* Microsoft Accounting, but since it's a dead product I'm stuck migrating.

Also, and this may seem like a nitpick to many. But, I prefer to do business with American businesses over foreign interests. OpenBravo is a Spanish company that went global. xTuple is based in Virginia.

Finally, mrunkel, I need to find something to yell at you about soon or the world is going to explode!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 04-19-2011 at 06:06 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

As an accountant myself, I have been over to xTuple, and you are absolutely correct. Its not the same environment, but that could be said for many, many other projects well. This place is unique.

Many of my clients are Quickbooks slaves, but there really isn't any good replacement for the same market. I would say that the xTuple products come close though, but I have not had time to really vet it. Openbravo, does look nice too, its just that the ERP thing that scares clients away, making them think $$$$$ and complicated.
    Last edited by Spiral; 04-20-2011 at 09:42 AM.

It *is* complicated. But you can turn off everything but the accounting module to get started. You also have to make all your own reports, templates for forms, and everything else. So it's a really time consuming process, but I think in the long run it will be worth it. Having all my financial data in a database I can run my own queries against is worth anything to me. Microsoft Accounting ran everything out of MSSQL, xTuple runs out of Postgres, and OpenBravo can run out of MSSQL, MySQL, and Postgres.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

I agree completely. The problem is when the client is deciding whether to pay me or another consultant to setup an accounting system, or just buy Quickbooks for a fraction of the cost. For some clients, Quickbooks seems to win every time. And then there is the issue with payroll in the open-source solutions.

Payroll for any sane organization is outsourced or run through ADP's software or something similar.

Incidentally, that is all Intuit does... they have ADP on the back end doing all that for them.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Many small business do outsource the payroll, but many also still do it in-house. Those cost is minimal if you have experienced people doing it, otherwise, it could be more cost effective to go with ADP, if payroll is substantial. Also for contracting businesses they need special payroll reports for "certified payroll", etc. so many times they do payroll in-house.

Not sure about ADP being on the back-end (didn't know that)... Maybe they are supplying the tax tables updates or something, but that is freely available from IRS, and state and city governments.

Even ignoring the payroll issue though, there is still the training issue. There are too many people that "know" Quickbooks. Good for Intuit, but bad for everybody else trying to get a business off it. There are too many people going to these Quickbooks certification schools, and getting jobs as bookkeepers for SMBs. Usually the books these people create are a total disaster, since they really know nothing about accounting, only how to use Quickbooks. So when you give them a different Accounting application, they are totally lost, and now their applicable skills are at zero.

This is a small business conundrum I deal with constantly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast