Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Cache: Web and DNS

The web cache is a nice idea, but addresses only part of the improved-response goal. Seems to me that the other piece of caching ought to be a local DNS cache. If I'm not mistaken (which I've been known to be once or twice) the Windows Server product line can do this, but for those of us who don't have the need for that kind of horsepower, a local DNS cache alternative would be very nice. For instance, OpenDNS says that there are typically 6000 DNS queries a day on my account. That's not insignificant and represents a nontrivial delay in (for example) page loads.

Now I know that there are some issues associated with DNS caching, and have run across a few of them back in the days when I was using Winproxy. At its worst, I had to purge the cache to restore access to a site whose address had changed. I don't consider that a big deal since it happened maybe two or three times in six years. At least in my opinion, the additional speedup of day to day usage was well worth an infrequent minor glitch.

So how about it Untangle people? If you add DNS caching to web page caching, that instantly becomes a no-brainer upgrade for me.

Great because DNS caching is already built in.

Its just part of the platform. We use dnsmasq which does caching by default.
    Last edited by dmorris; 05-01-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Great because DNS caching is already built in.

Its just part of the platform. We use dnsmasq which does caching by default.
    Then let me rephrase the question: How come I'm seeing so dang many queries to OpenDNS? It's a huge number for a very few clients visiting the same sites (for the most part) over and over again. I've sat there with jnettop and watched the queries fly. The dnsmasq process is running, and using a bit of processor time -- about 30 seconds/day more or less. Looks like some investigation is in order because it ought to perform better than it is.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Master Untangler

Okay, I've been watching this for a little while now, and deliberately reloading pages whose addresses should have been cached. There is no apparent caching going on. This just doesn't look right. There are way way too many relayed DNS queries.

Are you using Untangle for DNS?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Yep. Completely orthodox setup that works fine, including DHCP and DNS.

I've been studying the documentation for dnsmasq and comparing it to the configuration files that Untangle generates at startup. With the exception of a couple of commands I haven't yet found ("localise-queries" and "expand-hosts"), everything makes perfect sense. It's obvious how you are using it for DHCP and DNS, with the exception of caching: I have yet to see any of the artifacts that relate to caching behavior. But then, I'm still reading and learning about how it works. The documentation is pretty fragmented and sometimes conflicting.

Do you have any opinion on installing Wireshark alongside Untangle? Even better, a good how-to you could share? I'd like to see hard proof of whether DNS caching is working or not, 'cos I'm pretty sure it's not caching anything.

wireshark is part of the distribution, no need to install it on untangle.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    wireshark is part of the distribution, no need to install it on untangle.
    Dang. I never cease to be amazed at the awesomeness of Untangle. Now I have to figure out how to make it work on Linux since I've only used it on Windows previously.

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://forums.untangle.com/hacks/20969-x-redirect.html

That said if you just want to use it all you have to do is type in wireshark in the terminal while on the Untangle console. A very familiar GUI will pop up. That thread I made shows you how to redirect the X rendering to your windows station, allowing you to run wireshark's GUI on your desktop but sniff on untangle.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Day-um! Unfortunately I have to stop playing this now because TPTB have other plans. More tomorrow, with any luck.

Thanks so much (again) for the help. That X-term business looks especially intriguing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast