Default A way to identify the NICs?

It may be here somewhere....and I'm missing it..
    but when doing through setup, and afterwards...it would be nice for Untangle to be able to label the NICs...such as by brand..or at least chipset. Makes reconfiguring things easy...as you know for sure which NIC is plugged into WAN and LAN, etc.

Good idea. On the interfaces tab, it does show the MACs of the NICs. I guess we can cross reference the database of the MACs and list them.
    to be understood, you must first understand. :)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

yeah this is implemented in 5.1 under config->network, but not in the wizard yet
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

What about a blinking the LED button in the interface tab so you can visualy see which NIC is which? That would be handy when installing also.

I used the Alpaca's Interfaces tab (Config -> Networking) to help ID my network cards. Basically I started with all network cables unplugged and plug a cable into one of them and refreshed the Interfaces tab. It showed me what card was now connected. I then labeled the NIC and moved onto the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by choeschen View Post
    I used the Alpaca's Interfaces tab (Config -> Networking) to help ID my network cards. Basically I started with all network cables unplugged and plug a cable into one of them and refreshed the Interfaces tab. It showed me what card was now connected. I then labeled the NIC and moved onto the next one.
    Ahh...I'm looking around on a 5.0x box....don't see that "interface" tab...but just noted above it seems it's probably implemented in 5.1. That will suffice...still sort of a nice feature to see NICs listed by chipset/brand.

5.0 box, config tab, support, network interfaces.
    to be understood, you must first understand. :)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by gotkimchi View Post
    5.0 box, config tab, support, network interfaces.
    Bingo...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Ahh...I'm looking around on a 5.0x box....don't see that "interface" tab...but just noted above it seems it's probably implemented in 5.1. That will suffice...still sort of a nice feature to see NICs listed by chipset/brand.
    In the Interfaces tab it does already attempt to identify the brand of the card based on the MAC address, except it is not directly listed on the page. Hover your mouse over the MAC address and you will see the brand name if it is known. The MAC address is actually a link to http://standards.ieee.org/cgi-bin/ouisearch?{First 6 characters of MAC Address}

Untangler

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by choeschen View Post
    In the Interfaces tab it does already attempt to identify the brand of the card based on the MAC address, except it is not directly listed on the page. Hover your mouse over the MAC address and you will see the brand name if it is known. The MAC address is actually a link to http://standards.ieee.org/cgi-bin/ouisearch?{First 6 characters of MAC Address}
    There's a bug there.

We need to strip the colons out of the string and convert the 3 octets into a base 16 string.

As of right now, the link shows as this in UT 5.10:

And you'll get this page:

Code:
    Here are the results of your search through the public section of the IEEE Standards OUI database report for 00:1e:8c:

Sorry!

The public OUI listing contains no match for the query 00:1e:8c
    Please back up to the search page and try again.
    It should be like this:

In which you'll see this instead:

Code:
    00-1E-8C   (hex)		ASUSTek COMPUTER INC.
    001E8C     (base 16)		ASUSTek COMPUTER INC.
    				15,Li-Te Rd.,Peitou
    				Taipei  112
    				TAIWAN, REPUBLIC OF CHINA
    Cheers,
    Kermee