Default First 48 Hours Review

Hi all,

neoeon.com provides broadband in rural areas of (olde) England by redistributing ADSL via a mesh of wireless routers.

I loaded up untangle onto an underpowered 733MHZ P3 Compaq SFF box with 384MB RAM, 80GB HDD and an extra NIC and this server has been running over the weekend, serving 20ish users behind NAT.

First impressions...

Impressed

The server is responding fast enough so that users don't perceive any delay;

The transparent bridging mode is just so simple to drop into an existing network;

The web content rack is the easiest system of its kind to admin and control web usage that I yet seen - well done!

Likewise, the protocol rack is doing a fine job both at capturing a snapshot of overall bandwidth usage and also at blocking p2p traffic.

Would like to see:

explicit protocol/application control for kazaa and for skype

QoS in trans/bridge mode so that eg SSH, PoIP, http gets priority over p2p (ie allowing some p2p to pass but giving priority to the other apps/protocols)

cheers,

Guy

Cool!

glad you like it.

I honestly didn't know you could even run the thing on 384 megs!
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Hi,

In the same category (early days review)
    (a) Compliment!
    It's a superb product, trivial to deploy and with a lot of sensible defaults - and a really user-friendly interface.
    V5.0.1 seems to be something of an improvement on the already good 4.x - especially in things like error page display.

(b) 4 feature requests:
    i. Upgrades: v4.x didn't have any obvious path to upgrade to v5.x and it was unclear whether I could re-import settings (so I didn't risk it - late at night <grin>)
    ii. Version/update info for each element, especially those that require updates - ideally with scheduling.
    so: ClamAV Version and Signature version/ last update + frequency of update
    : SPAM filter - version, and last update
    : ditto Phish, Web and other filters (IPS...)
    iii. Grouping
    In things like the Protocol Control module, it would be useful to be able to 'one click' block -for example- all entries in the group P2P, all in the group IM, ...

iv: Reporting: For on-demand (management/auditor) request and overall maintenance, it would be nice to specify from/to dates on reports. Even more importantly, from a Regulatory/Compliance & Data Protection/Retention perspective, it's vital (if Untangle is to get into significant size organisations) that it be possible (preferably easy !) to set max / min retention periods for logs/records. [Privacy in some organisations, for example requires retaining only the last 30 days of logs unless there's an investigation ongoing, in which case the relevant logs need to be extracted safely.] This could be a 'professional package' extra, I'd guess - or at least you could do a 'basic' version for free and a fully flexible one for the pro version.
    many thanks
    pk
    Last edited by Janus; 08-16-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Extra 'feature opportunities' as I get used to the product...

Untangler

The question that I have not been able to find an answer to is whether there is an upgrade path to v5.0.1 from v4.2.3 or if this will require a fresh install. In the meantime, I am glad to hear the positive reviews of the new version. I am using them to decide whether it is worth trashing the current install and upgrading. Is there any info out there on an upgrade path?

A list of changes between versions would also be a nice addition so that I can fine tune my testing to those newer components and update by blog entry. I am downloading the current version now and crossing my fingers that I can figure something out to keep from having to reconfigure everything.

I hope to give the latest version a run-through over the next month. I have a new customer where I get to build their network from scratch including all servers, cabling and workstations. Untangle would make an excellent alternative to Cisco PIX and VPN assuming the OpenVPN can be tested and shown to be reliable for their needs. My recommendation to them will be for the paid support package to give them AD integration and the other features that offers.

Thanks again guys for a great product.

Quote Originally Posted by Antimidas View Post
    The question that I have not been able to find an answer to is whether there is an upgrade path to v5.0.1 from v4.2.3 or if this will require a fresh install. In the meantime, I am glad to hear the positive reviews of the new version. I am using them to decide whether it is worth trashing the current install and upgrading. Is there any info out there on an upgrade path?
    Hi Antimidas

There will be an upgrade path for those 4.2.x folks to go to 5.0.x. The upgrade code is currently been tested. If you would like to become one of the folks during the 'testing' cycle who gladly volunteers their box to upgrade, feel free to contact Support and let them know. I'm always looking for folks who are willing..... vic...I mean volunteers

I'm always looking for folks who are willing..... vic...I mean volunteers
    Although I am already on 5.0.x, sign me up for the victi...er...volunteer list. I have a non-production enviroment in my office for testing that would lend itself quite nicely to the cause.

Awesome. - Will be sending you a private forum message to get your box key.