Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    CommTouch isn't an unknown. They are a force in the market in high level spam and malware defensive software when it specifically relates to network or server level protection..
    I've been working with SPAM filtering for a long time....CommTouch has, up until last year, been only know for their SPAM filtering technology. They are "pretty good" in my experience of working quite a bit with them...and with other products. We've run data centers for many years that do a lot of SMB ==> Enterprise services including mail filtering for clients Exchange servers.

But to the antivirus world, CommTouch is "new". They only recently purchased Authentium's antivirus technology (last year).

Authentium hasn't been well known in the US market as a major player. (although I have heard of them over the year, believe they had a rather heavy dual engined product) The roads they've made into the US market (since it comes from Israel I think) has been for relabeling services, such as ISP branded antivirus.

One would be hard pressed to find comparisons of them in our regular sources over here in the States, I can't even find them at AV-Test.

I see CommTouch has a second AV product, besides the "Command" one that is based on Authentium. This second product being called CSAM. I dunno if they had that prior to Command..as in they rolled their own.

Quote Originally Posted by blueshoes View Post
    I thought Astaro was Clam and Avira, soon to be minus Avira to Sophos engine? We are talking web/http engines here right? Not the 3rd AV engine used in Astaros email????.
    I'm fairly sure I saw Authentium as their second AV engine product. I can't say I'm sure 100% though...so Avira may be correct. Pretty sure it did start with an "A"..and it sure isn't AVG or Avast.

I've been working with Commtouch branded anti-malware tech for almost a decade. They did a stint into desktop anti-malware back when Lavasoft's Ad-Aware first really hit the street.

They do a good job, but it's a very niche product. It isn't going anywhere unless it's in a border security device. It's simply an API that's hooking into a cloud DB. The critical difference here is rather than running a Kaspersky engine on the UT server, streaming in the file, scanning it, and passing it on. UT should be simply making a check against an online DB of files and prior scan results. It's a cloud based thing, similar to what McAffee and Symantec have done in their current mainline AV products to make them more reactive.

Is it the best? I have no idea. Is it competent? Most certainly. Is it better? To be honest I expect the detection rate to take a bit of a hit vs Kaspersky, but at the same time I expect the db to be far more reactive. To be the reactive nature of cloud based AV is more important on the edge than solid engine hits.

Not to mention this neatly solves the issue of people using Kaspersky on the desktop and not wanting to duplicate it in Untangle. Kaspersky makes a very solid product.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Yeah, many AV brands have gone towards cloud based...those with the typical definition based engine have to increase their update rates to remain competitive, and effective.

Kaspesky had, for the longest time, hourly updates for their definitions. It would update every single hour. Even years ago back when many brands would do just daily. Eset would be at least a couple of times per day, I've seen it do at least 8 in one day. Norton/Symantec went to its "pulse" update engine, getting little updates every 10-15 minutes.

Well, lets keep our fingers crossed and hope it remains equally effective against todays rogue/fake alert malware threats, and possibly improves.

We're actually changing our desktop protection for clients...we've been a long time Eset reseller since it was back in version 2.5. We're recently purchased N-Able to manage many of our "monthly" clients...and hopefully take on many more. Bundled with it is "Endpoint Security" antivirus, which is based on Panda. Which is very cloud based. Historically Panda was rather "heavy"..slowing down workstations, but we've swapped out a lot of clients already from Eset 4.2.xx to this and they've not gotten slower. And gone is that dang startup scan. And we've had Panda find a few things on workstations already that Eset missed...actual legit things, not just useless stuff.

Master Untangler

Av products are like the weather. It can look all bright and sunny, then out of no where a major storm rolls in. As long as Untangle chooses a reputable av vendor that will partner with them very well, I don't care what it is. The partnership (making the code sing) is probably one of the most effective aspects of keeping us protected. For me, having 2 different virus filters + spyware/web filter at the gateway, coupled with a strong desktop av is very strong protection. Yes, stuff will still get through, and does. Though no one can say we are not doing our due diligence.

I am confident that this change will be fine. I also appreciate the heads up from Untangle.

Quote Originally Posted by far182 View Post
    Av products are like the weather. It can look all bright and sunny, then out of no where a major storm rolls in. As long as Untangle chooses a reputable av vendor that will partner with them very well, I don't care what it is. The partnership (making the code sing) is probably one of the most effective aspects of keeping us protected. For me, having 2 different virus filters + spyware/web filter at the gateway, coupled with a strong desktop av is very strong protection. Yes, stuff will still get through, and does. Though no one can say we are not doing our due diligence.

I am confident that this change will be fine. I also appreciate the heads up from Untangle.
    This is one of the many reasons why I was for the Commtouch adjustment back when I first heard about it. Kaspersky is a solid engine, and I'd like to have that as an option on the desktop. Right now, there are many networks out there with UT on them, not attaining full multilayer protection because such a popular desktop and server AV is one of the engines UT employed. With Commtouch there is no risk of that conflict on the surface, and it will grant network admins the freedom to use Kaspersky elsewhere on their network without loosing that layer.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I've never seen Kaspersky take off heavy in business networks here in the US. Out of about 100 active clients we manage, and hundreds and hundreds of other biz network clients I've worked at over the years....probably only see Kaz on a biz network 2-3 times.

Seen it on home users computers plenty of times...but that's a different matter.

Anyways...time to see how it runs, doing a new install next week with an education premium bundle...guessing it may be installed during that license setup. Hopefully it will pan out OK, would just like to see some actual comparisons of it...still yet to find it mentioned on av-tests pages (although I really only use av-comparatives.org for believing reviews)
    Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 08-27-2011 at 05:00 AM.

Good discussion about the upcoming change-over. Here is a link worth checking out from CommTouch's website about who is already OEMing their Anti-virus and Anti-Malware protection. I don't know about you, but it looks like we'll be in pretty good company.

http://www.commtouch.com/oem-partner-highlights

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by shaungardner View Post
    Good discussion about the upcoming change-over. Here is a link worth checking out from CommTouch's website about who is already OEMing their Anti-virus and Anti-Malware protection. I don't know about you, but it looks like we'll be in pretty good company.

http://www.commtouch.com/oem-partner-highlights

You are right, F-Secure, Panda, G-Data. The heavy hitters of AV. What are technology are they? Are all using, cloud scanner, main scanner engine or are they using a sub-set of definitions?

Shaungardner and your 10 posts! I haven't seen you around here in a long time! For those of you who don't know Shaun, he's Untangle's intergalactic sales manager. His territory is vast, and his sales power is strong. Plus he's a super nice guy, and will dance for $1.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast