Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The "No More Kaspersky" announcement

A long proven track record of being one of the highest detection AV products out there...it's difficult to give up that protection that our clients embrace. Being replaced with a relatively unknown name. (which appears to also power Astaro).

I see CommTouch purchased Authentium antivirus last year....I have heard of Authentium. Not big in the US market.

The e-mail came with a link to AV-Test results from June....however I can't find it on the test results published on their website.
    http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/test...quarter-22011/

CommTouch isn't an unknown. They are a force in the market in high level spam and malware defensive software when it specifically relates to network or server level protection.

In short, it's an engine specifically designed for what Untangle is trying to do. And, if they implement the module correctly, it will be an AV module that will have ZERO load on the UT server. It's a cloud based filtration system very similar to the way the zVelo filter works.

I'm not all that happy we don't have both as an option, but I do want the Commtouch module because cloud based filter + cloud based AV module - Spam Filter = Almost no resources required to operate Untangle = I can produce smaller, less expensive, less power consuming hardware.

This change will open quite a few doors, while closing only a few.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    The e-mail came with a link to AV-Test results from June....however I can't find it on the test results published on their website.
    Keep in mind thats the windows XP product test.
    Kaspersky and the Kaspersky OEM program are totally separate. We (as OEM providers) don't even have access to the linux Kaspersky products; we can only use the linux OEM kaspersky API, which is different. Given that I don't think those tests will tell you much.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Details? I haven't received any notice about this module going away.

It's not going away, just changing engines.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

And I suspect changing names since the current implementation is named "Kaspersky Virus Blocker". Therefore, one could easily conclude that the existing module is going away and will be replaced by a new premium virus module.

If I had to guess, most likely like Virus Blocker, and Virus Blocker Lite. Since that is what happened in the past with the Web Filter and Web Filter Lite.
    to be understood, you must first understand. :)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I just wished they would have named it "Web Filter Pro" or "Web Filter Plus", since it sometimes confuses things when the premium module preempts the former name of the free module. Name them "Virus Blocker Plus" and "Virus Blocker", so that the current free module does not need to change. If they are worried about this scheme being less tempting for upsells, they could still name them both "Plus" and "Lite" and leave the base "Virus Blocker" name empty.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 08-25-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

I have to agree with that, I have to refer to the "Web Filter" as the "Premium Web Filter" or the "Paid Web Filter" with customers on the phone just to avoid confusion.

Furthermore, I often use the same language here on the forums.

This sort of thing is akin to Microsoft back when they used to use the same version names on Office and Windows. Anyone else remember the customer confusion when we had Windows XP and Office XP running around? My parents STILL insist that "Office" is a part of "Windows" and use the terms interchangeably at times because of that mess.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    A long proven track record of being one of the highest detection AV products out there...it's difficult to give up that protection that our clients embrace. Being replaced with a relatively unknown name. (which appears to also power Astaro).

I see CommTouch purchased Authentium antivirus last year....I have heard of Authentium. Not big in the US market.

I thought Astaro was Clam and Avira, soon to be minus Avira to Sophos engine? We are talking web/http engines here right? Not the 3rd AV engine used in Astaros email????

Sorry, but going from Kaspersky to say Avira gateway AV, yes that would be an OK kind of side move. But CommTouch/Authentium move is a down grade I would think.

You can't tell me CommTouch/Authentium will have anyway near the infrastructure and brain power working on the signatures that Kaspersky will have.

Sounds like we can put this new choice of gateway AV up with the powerhouse that Fortinet has, or Zyxel's own AV ( friendly sarcasm, not angry) .

How about Avira gateway AV? I don't see best of breed in this new choice. But I guess time will tell.

I would assume before making the move you have done some testing with both with a Kaspesky UT box and a CommTouch/Authentium UT box to NEW malware infecting sites without content filtering enabled on two different IPs, so you don't get dropped the second time you go to the malicious site by the very common "drop the malware researcher on his second and consecutive visits so he can't do research". What was the outcome, I bet Kaspersky had more catches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast