Thread: Smtp ssl/tls

Default Smtp ssl/tls

First off let me apologize if this is covered and I simply did not look hard enough.

I do not see a method in 9.02 to use SSL/TLS for smtp servers (ie: gmail) for sending mail.

If this is not possible I would like to submit this as a feature request.

I started using Untangle today and I am enjoying it quite a bit and my hats off to the developers as the interface and such seems fantastic. (PS. it would be nice to be able to make donations on behalf of the "free" version)

Unaware of how untangle works on the back end with sending emails I would bring your attention to the likes of "msmtp". I use this on my Fedora firewall all the time for sending SSL emails by connecting to gmail and it works perfectly. Perhaps it could be incorporate into untangle or maybe someone out there might know a hack to implant it into place.

Thanks.

are you talking about config->email?

Just select "Send Email using the specified SMTP Server"
    Then select "Use Authentication" and give a username/password.

If the server advertises SSL/TLS it will use it.

welcome to the forums.
    Last edited by dmorris; 09-03-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Yes, and I have those settings in place and used the from:
    <read> gmail URL I can not post </read>
    with no luck. I have checked the spam folder etc as well with no luck.

I have tried that using both TLS and SSL settings for ports on smtp.gmail.com. So far nothing has ever gone through. I have not seen a tcpdump or the like yet of the stream so unsure precisely what is happening. I know if I send it command line from my desktop or other firewall it works though. I have checked the settings (server, credentials, ports, etc) many times so I do not think its a simple PEBCAK in those regards.

http://forums.untangle.com/installat...html#post54934

is that the URL?

after that I would check what it says in /var/log/exim4/mainlog
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

No, it was a google url indicating the proper ports and hosts etc for connecting via SSL/TLS and so forth.

mail.google.com support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287

It now appears to be random. I just got a spew of emails from untangle. I tested it again and got the emails. Thinking it was fine but wanting a third test I attempted one more round. Now they are not showing up again. I realize email is not an instant service but I have never seen these kind of delays in gmail nor am I seeing them now from other clients. The server load seems fine on the untangle box etc.

They get queued up so when you enter the correct settings all the old ones that you had queued will get sent.

again, all the answers are in /var/log/exim4/mainlog.

it will tell you actually what is going on and exactly how the server responded.