Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Master Untangler

I'm not a Linux guy, so ideally I want to find something that is simple to configure and it "just works". I've downloaded their preconfigured appliance and have it up and running on esxi, but I haven't attempted to reconfigure it to fit my environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    I'm not a Linux guy, so ideally I want to find something that is simple to configure and it "just works". I've downloaded their preconfigured appliance and have it up and running on esxi, but I haven't attempted to reconfigure it to fit my environment.
    IIS can do the same thing, and that's a right click tick box setup.

It doesn't look as pretty... But again you have to run it in house or your users can't upload stuff easily.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

I'm not a Linux guy, so ideally I want to find something that is simple to configure and it "just works".
    I'm not either, but I spent maybe a day on and off between other break/fixes getting an Ubuntu server setup on an old desktop and configuring sFTP.

I created an extremely simple bash script a couple weeks ago that basically creates a user, home folder, removes shell access, and creates one folder that is writable. It got old typing it all out by hand was the only reason to script it, plus my intern can't screw it up then, as he is out of college and no linux experience.

It's really not to bad, you just have to search and put the pieces together. I can shoot you some info on how I did ours as I have it 90% documented on the setup.

edit: Mine is dedicated and on the front side of our Untangle box hanging out facing the web directly, it has a public IP. So our in house users use Filezilla to connect just like the customer would.

I'll reiterate, I know nothing from Linux except what I get from the web and asking questions. I am a Windows Admin by trade, so it is a foreign language to me.
    Last edited by mooseracing; 10-26-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Yeah SSH is pretty easy to get setup to allow sFTP without opening the shell. You just have to be careful not to allow the root login. And I highly recommend you install fail2ban as well, it's easy to configure too.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

I spent some time today and I believe that I have the zendto virtual appliance configured properly. Now I need to tweak my mail server so that it will allow outgoing mail from the designated IP address.

Finally, I'll need to setup the port forward from within UT to allow the outside world to access the box as needed. I haven't installed a certificate yet, but that's in the works. Do you forsee any issues if I use the standard secure port of 443 to provide this service? I already have the UT external HTTPS port moved over to a different port number.

Thanks, Dan

Master Untangler

I spent some time today and I believe that I have the zendto virtual appliance configured properly. Now I need to tweak my mail server so that it will allow outgoing mail from the designated IP address.

Finally, I'll need to setup the port forward from within UT to allow the outside world to access the box as needed. I haven't installed a certificate yet, but that's in the works. Do you forsee any issues if I use the standard secure port of 443 to provide this service? I already have the UT external HTTPS port moved over to a different port number.

Thanks, Dan
    sftp by default is port 22. not sure what zendto uses. whatever you have configured zendto to use, use that port.

From what I can see it's a web app, so the default port would be 80 or 443 according to the web server configuration you've stuffed it into.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

That's correct. The site is up and running by default on port 80. Now I need to install the SSL certificate and modify apache so the site runs on https.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12