Untangler

Default Very happy with Untangle here..........

Well I had to post to let you know that my install at home went flawlessly after 'I pulled my finger out', [a UK term form getting things right at my end!].

I installed a couple of times and had a few hiccups with things that went wrong which were certainly my fault and not Untangle's, like inputting wrong details in wrong boxes etc -doh!

But once I got over that and got the initial install sorted with a minor problem of it not recognising my video card from re-boot for some reason, [ a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440], which I botched to work, I was all set and happy

Since then it has been running in my 'ham radio shack' an external brick building about 30 feet or so away from the house and just sat there 'doing it's job' - which in my house is helping to stop my teenager going to unsavoury sites on the net amongst other things of course.

I just need to set a few more things up now and just forget the thing, though I see it every day when I operate my radios in there.

So a great big thanks to all at Untangle Towers from my family and in the very near future I do intend to purchase the Standard Package as I feel it could help me here.

So once again cheers to all involved.

Kevin.
    Last edited by wallzone; 10-14-2011 at 05:31 AM. Reason: typo...

thanks for posting.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Thanks for the kind words..
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Untangler

yeah wait till the kids finds ulrasurf..noob.
    lol

or maybe he already has and you do not know..lol

Untangler

nmstplummer I've already blocked lots of proxy sites that 'keep appearing' just like magic, 'it's not me'. I get told.......

Even though the ip and mac prove 1000% that it is, they come up with some stories don't they?

My number 4 son who is at Uni doing IT and 'pewter programming came and gave Untangle a thrashing yesterday, and found a few new proxy sites I never heard of on his phone and managed to get around the Lite version a few other ways, he told me how but I couldn't understand what he was actually saying though!
    That's why I'm saving my pennies for the Standard Package at least to try and beat him

Cheers for that site though I will put it in the Web Filter Lite as a blocked site just in case anyone does try to get there - you never know?

Cheers.

Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by nmstplummer View Post
    yeah wait till the kids finds ulrasurf..noob.
    lol

or maybe he already has and you do not know..lol
    Untangle can detect Ultrasurf. And in a home environment, it's all a parent needs to go smack the kid.

Oddly enough the same approach in a school works too.

Process is a bit different, but the result is the same. Enforcement of Internet usage policy is quite possible. This is a human process, and always will be. Untangle will get better over time of course, but as long as we have the tools to see what's going on, we can deal with issues in a human way.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

sky-knight Hey come on now I do hope you are not practising corporal punishment
    it's all a parent needs to go smack the kid
    Don't know about where you are but over this side of the 'pond' the officials will jump on us from on bl00dy great height if we do that nowadays, [even though it did me no harm - honest guv!].

Re. Ultrasurf my Untangle allowed me to go on to the site but I run Mint and of course it is Windows software so perhaps that is what you mean by
    Untangle can detect Ultrasurf
    Cheers.

Kevin.

Well the term was figurative. lol
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com