Default Out of State Installation

I recently had a local customer purchase a [redacted]. This unit wasn't purchased from NexGen but from Intouch Technology as a part of a support agreement.

These units excite me because I get so few of them, and I get to be the IT guy that installs them instead of simply selling them.

Anyway, the unit was preconfigured to connect to the central office in Scottsdale, it joins two other units that protect and connect the two local offices for this customer.

Advanced features were all ready to go, unit is configured to connect to the central Untangle server vai OpenVPN, the local DHCP service has been configured via advanced mode to supply information to the local network to allow the remote network to use AD.

The only thing I didn't preconfigure, the only information I didn't have, was what Internet connection was in use at the remote site.

The device was shipped, today I got a call it had arrived, I was on the phone for an hour stepping an end user through plugging in, and configuring the external interface to get online. This process was made a bit more difficult as they have a DSL connection provided by Qworst (Qwest, Centurylink, whatever. ).

Centurylink support to thier credit were able to confirm the DSL router was configured in DMZ Plus mode, and therefore operating as a bridge. So the only missing link was a lack of PPPoE information. Centurylink provided it as I instructed the client where to input the appropriate details. No sooner than she clicked OK the main site's Untangle reported a connection, the internet came online, and packets started to fly.

It really was quite glorious. Only with Untangle have I had any success pulling this sort of thing. Usually I have to get a local IT guy to go over there and I'm trying to train him while interpret what he sees into appropriate instructions.

So thank you Untangle, for providing a product that just allowed me to reconfigure a remote network, a state away, via detailed instructions to an end user, and it all happened in an hour. I have two hours of total time now invested in setting up that site.

No plane tickets, no outside consultants, just plug it in and it worked.

Here is a picture of what they had, the Sonicwall in the lower left is now a [redacted].

Now to get them to buy a support contract with associated support packages for all three of these servers. Tried twice before, met with the cheap owner card twice. I figure I'll push it until they fire me, or they buy it, because either way, I won't have to worry about it! Supporting a multi-state network on hardware that has no official support from the primary vender is insane. Even for someone who knows the product as well as I.

P.S. Actual appliance names [redacted] to comply with forum policy. This is not written this way to inflame, upset, or even to protest. It's now as far as I'm concerned, an inside joke at my own expense.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Wow, that PoE injector and Mitel phone look familiar. Interesting how they have one hp switch horizontal and the other up against the wall. But the big thing is why you didn't post the pic from after they installed the new box
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    Wow, that PoE injector and Mitel phone look familiar. Interesting how they have one hp switch horizontal and the other up against the wall. But the big thing is why you didn't post the pic from after they installed the new box
    Because I don't have one.

This was taken just so I'd have a clue where they started.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com