Untangler

Default Laptop/Desktop Client

It would be nice to have a laptop/desktop client that could be installed on a device that phoned home to an untangle box to make sure that the untangle policy is used even when users are off the network.

For example say you have a large about of laptop users that travel quite a bit and always using hotspots, which are open, it would be nice for this client to phone home and at least block websties based on the policy on the untangle box.

Is this something people would use? I think its a great idea to get more big companies to use untangle.

Untangler

I think you may be missing the point. You still need security and protection and most of those have something like that built in. No need to phone home. Maybe Untangle could build a companion product but they would be going up against semantec et all. Not an easy thing to do.

Don

All you need is a full tunnel VPN service operating behind Untangle.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

True but then everything goes threw the tunnel making it slower. He only wants to use the untangle to ok the sites if I read it correct. Then use the local connection for the data.

I guess untangle can't do the full tunnel anyway.http://bugzilla.untangle.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3694

Don

I never said Untangle could, but those are your options. You must transit the filter to be subject to it.

There are some DNS based systems out there you can point a client at and have it "protected" but that would be the equivalent of simply the Web Filter portion of Untangle.

So the way I see it, the only way to "protect" users properly while remote, is a full tunnel VPN. Yes I know that slows things down, but, it nicely sidesteps all risks of being on a public wifi while protecting the user and equipment and simultaneously providing access to protected corporate resources.

OpenVPN AS works really well for this application, when behind Untangle. Astaro Red? Yeah... that's just OpenVPN AS. We built a thing we nicknamed Untangle Green that was essentially the same thing, but never could get the resources to dev it properly. There are a few prototypes in service, but that's all we can effectively support.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by rtrice81 View Post
    For example say you have a large about of laptop users that travel quite a bit and always using hotspots, which are open, it would be nice for this client to phone home and at least block websties based on the policy on the untangle box.
    Hmm...Admin privileges + open hotspots = If not VPN, what's the point?
    Sounds like a lost cause before you start and a couple "nefarious" websites are going to be the least of your troubles...
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!