Thread: Zvelo v3 rocks!

Default Zvelo v3 rocks!

I just want to give the UT team some kudos on the new web filter. Ever since the move to 9.x (and the addition of a few piracy categories), torrent traffic moving through my server is way down. It's hard to torrent if you can't reach the tracker site to get you started.

There's still bits here and there, but I used to have users that would literally spend all the day in the penalty box and just not care about the consequences. Now I see more incidental socks5 false positives than BT traffic in App Control Lite, no one is in the penalty box more than a few hours and I'm considering lowering the penalty duration as a result.

Of course, it could just be that BT clients are getting sneakier, but in spite of some other unrelated performance issues (for which you guys have given some awesome support ) the server seems to be doing much better for throughput, and normally any significant BT users really cripple my otherwise over-provisioned hardware.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 02-10-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Thanks jcoehoorn!

We did notice that when we were troubleshooting your server and looking at your reports that you had a ton of bittorrent users that would just happily run all night despite being in the penalty box.

We're going to research allowing setting of less than 1% for the lowest priority to limit them more because if you have a 100Mbit connections thats still 1Mbit when severely limited.

We're also researching some changes to penalty boxes which should make it more configurable to allow more severe penalties. These things should help in the future.

Also, Application Control (in 9.2) seems really good at outright blocking bittorrent if that is your goal. Application Control is fairly CPU intensive, so I'd make sure everything is working smoothly on 9.2 well before adding that into the mix.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Yeah, I've been thinking I'll save App Control until I've set a performance baseline after the Fall semester begins... so that means late september.

That said, blocking bittorrent outright is not the goal. It has valid and legal uses for education and entertainment, and so I want it to work on at least some level... but leaving it fully open also just does not work for us, and so my goal is to just make it much harder to do, such that the actual amount of bittorrent traffic on our network is very small, especially relative to regular http. Sadly, I fear the result of this policy is that the only bittorrent traffic left will be the illegal kind, but I've yet to encounter a better solution. We also have a provision set up by which a student can request a filtering exemption (through an instructor), at which point I would move them to a custom rack, so it's not a complete lock down.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 02-10-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty