Untangler

Default Moving away from Debian Lenny?

When will Untangle be moving away from Debian Lenny? I just noticed on the Debian Wikipedia page that Lenny ended support on 2/6/2012:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Release_history

While I realize that the UVM is really what matters, it is always good-practice to run on a supported underlying operating system.

Additionally, from what I've read over the years on these forums, it sounds like Untangle would benefit from upgrading away from Lenny. For one example, see:
    http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/M...s_Access_Point

- Joe

Untangler

Awesome, thanks!

Everyone should be warned, while Squeeze is a nice upgrade in many respects. I find the mechanism it uses to control startup to be far more cumbersome. And, to make matters worse, it tends to not display the grub menu when running in a virtualized environment.

So when Untangle does make the switch it will open doors for many things like integrated wireless, but it will also cause some new issues to smooth out. I'm excited about it, but also worried about it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Everyone should be warned, while Squeeze is a nice upgrade in many respects. I find the mechanism it uses to control startup to be far more cumbersome. And, to make matters worse, it tends to not display the grub menu when running in a virtualized environment.

So when Untangle does make the switch it will open doors for many things like integrated wireless, but it will also cause some new issues to smooth out. I'm excited about it, but also worried about it.
    Luckily, we worry about all that so our customers don't have to.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

True, but heads up none the less!

I'm still converting VMs from Debian 5 to 6. Most of them move over naturally.

Xen introduces even more strangness into this mess because what is reported by Xen to be /dev/hda is actually /dev/sda in the guest. Even when it's supposed to be /dev/vxda... One of the upsides is that Debian 6 appears to be capable of reconfiguring /etc/fstab for you on boot. So the OS is even more portable than ever, it's very image friendly.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com