Default Notification of Server Updates

I would like to be notified whenever my untangle server automatically installs an update. Just a simple email notification saying an update is now being applied.

Today is the second time, the untangle server auto-updated and took down internet access for our staff members.

It is frustrating to spend time trying to troubleshoot this issue, then later to discover an update was applied that caused the problem.

If I know an update is applied, then I can be better prepared for any issues, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by srushik View Post
    I would like to be notified whenever my untangle server automatically installs an update. Just a simple email notification saying an update is now being applied.

Today is the second time, the untangle server auto-updated and took down internet access for our staff members.

It is frustrating to spend time trying to troubleshoot this issue, then later to discover an update was applied that caused the problem.

If I know an update is applied, then I can be better prepared for any issues, if any.
    Why don't you just disable auto updates then install them manually at a time that's best for you? This way you actually kick off the update process at a convenient time.
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Config -> Upgrade -> Automatic Upgrade

Set it to disabled.

You will still get definitions and other sub updates, but system upgrades will wait for you to push the button. This is the preferred method of supporting any Untangle system that has IT management to maintain them. You must keep the box current, but it gives you time to schedule the upgrade instead of it randomly happening at 2am.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

By the way, there is no chance your server automatically upgraded today, unless you set the server to only upgrade on Mondays, or the server or the Internet at your site has been down since Thursday night.

Upgrades have been available to all UIDs since last Thursday night.

That being said, we are trying to come up with a better way to notify admins about their systems.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I expect it probably did run the server update on Thursday. Friday - Sunday, we don't have any volunteer staff connecting via the captive portal. Today, Monday, would be the first day that particular issue would have been recognized.

I do want to have the server run updates automatically. I like keeping the server up to date, and I like that it monitors and updates when they are available. However, it would be nice to have the server fire out an email to the admin, that an auto-update has just been run.

This would not be a complex enhancement and would simply give the admin a 'heads up' that something has changed on the server. - no harm by sending a notification like that and it could relieve a lot of stress.

Twice now, these auto-updates have bitten me, taking us offline. And consuming lots of my time, and lots of Untangle's Tech Support time trying to diagnose what the issue is.

I'm just sharing my experiences and attempt to offer a suggestion that could be helpful for both your support teams, and the customers.

Default Admin is as admin does...

Twice now, these auto-updates have bitten me, taking us offline. And consuming lots of my time, and lots of Untangle's Tech Support time trying to diagnose what the issue is.
    Explain how an email from your server, that an upgrade was preformed, will prevent the ill effects you discribed from biting you...it's kinda too late, no?
    With your prior experience with this issue on your system(s), it would make more sense to disable auto-updates as suggested.
    My instructor always said; admin is as admin does...
    Last edited by f1assistance; 02-28-2012 at 04:58 AM.
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!

I'm just sharing my experiences and attempt to offer a suggestion that could be helpful for both your support teams, and the customers.
    We appreciate the feedback.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by f1assistance View Post
    Explain how an email from your server, that an upgrade was preformed, will prevent the ill effects you discribed from biting you...it's kinda too late, no?
    @f1assistance
    The email does not prevent any ill effects of an upgrade. - come on, I'm not an idiot.

The email simply gives me a heads up that something has changed on that server. Knowledge is power right? If I know something has changed, I can at least be better prepared to troubleshoot any issues that I may be experiencing.

As it is, I get a support ticket from one of my users that something isn't working. Then I have to contact the user diagnose and investigate the problem. Once narrowed down to be the Untangle server, I have to call Untangle support and spend 30+ minutes with them as they do more of the same troubleshooting I already did. Once the problem is identified, it can then be fixed.

If I know something has changed, much of that time can be reduced or eliminated. WOW, you all act as if I'm asking for the world here. All I want is to be informed of what's happening on my network.
    Last edited by srushik; 02-28-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling

WOW, you all act as if I'm asking for the world here. All I want is to be informed of what's happening on my network.
    Deep breath. People are just trying to help.

They are simply trying to point out that you already have the ability to fully control what is happening on your network.

Turn off automatic upgrades, subscribe to the Announcements forum here and then you can upgrade at a time of your choosing.

In the mean time, we (the people who work @ Untangle) have heard your request and are already working on a solution along those lines.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:

Untangle is working on something even greater...

Centralized Monitoring, which will eventually morph into centralized management!

Remote warnings of your Untangle when it upgrades? Bleh, small fry stuff! How about a cloud based management console that notifies you that your box hasn't reported in in X hours? How about seeing every Untangle installation you own in one convenient location that allows you to backup, restore, and otherwise manipulate everything to your hearts content from your cell phone?

Granted I'm dreaming here, but Untangle is working on it. I was simply as MRunkel pointed out, showing you how to deal with things as they are now. Automatic upgrades carry a risk, most of the time things work out well enough, but sometimes they can really blow up. I prefer to push that button during business hours when I have UT support to back me up.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com