Default One thing to have

UT is a good product. I'm moving my client base to it from another product. The only thing that's not present is a good vpn for "roadwarriors". It could be an html 5 ssl or a roadwarrior ipsec thing compatible with iphones. this is something my clients request often. I'm loosing that functionality moving to UT..so i have to setup another box behind it. It would be really nice if this was baked into UT itself.

What's to VPN to if you don't have a server? And if you do have a server, SBS server has all the toys in the world to pull this off.

As much as I'd like to see fully deployed VPN functionality in Untangle, and while the suggestion to me is a solid one. I must refute the concept that Untangle needs to do all things, in all cases.

Besides, if you don't have that server already, what is the user VPN'ing to? Surely you aren't asking an iPhone user to run RDP to their desktop?

Roadwarriors can use OpenVPN on droid devices right now. Yell at Apple for not making their VPN API public.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I'm not saying UT needs to do everything all the time. The only thing I've asked for is the roadwarrior vpn option. The other request I've made is definitely not a huge one.. I would not be switching my client base to UT if I didn't think it was good already..

I agree, the but answer for iOS is ideally a non-root requiring OpenVPN client. IPSec is simply a nightmare to deal with.

And we won't get that OpenVPN client until Apple gets off their high horse and allows open access to that API of theirs. Or, the OpenVPN guys get some more dev cycles. I've done s bit of research on this recently and there is more than a rumor that the OpenVPN.net guys are already working on it. That said, I see no official announcement, and even if it's where I think it is in the dev cycle, it's still likely 12 months out at best.

My immediate answer for customer in your situation is to utilize a 3rd party PPTP service, install one of my own on untangle (it's not that hard), and meanwhile cheerily inform my customer that if they supported companies that built open, and compatible technologies they'd not be in this situation.

Of course, Android was no better up until VERY recently in this case. I first caught wind of the VPN API back in January?

Anyway, the PPTP service as a part of Windows Professional or server works for Windows Mobile, iOS, and Android devices. So if you want a universal solution, there it is.
    NexgenAppliances.com

I'm not interested in openvpn honestly. i -hings have a perfectly working ipsec client already.. That's what i'm after on the UT side..

BTW you can do rdp on both android and ithing for free..i usually just fire up teamviewer though..

You'll ditch IPSec when you realize the OpenVPN app is so much easier to configure your customers don't need your input to do it anymore.

It's also infinitely easier to troubleshoot. Then again, I DESPISE IPSec. Talk about a protocol that's trying to do too much...
    NexgenAppliances.com

oh all of my clients who aren't on ithings use openvpn. however my clientbase with ithings is growing and i have to work with what they have right now..