Thread: Spam :-)

Untangle Ninja

Default Spam :-)

I just wan't to share some SPAM stats:

Company 1:
    30-40 ppl working 2 domains around 50 email addresses.
    Attachment 4923

Company 2:
    Around 120-140 ppl working 8 or 9 domains and around 400 email addresses.
    Attachment 4924

Company 1 have had a incidents where there server had a open relay a few years a go and they do allot of work in Asia. :-)

Guess if Company 1 likes Untangle :P

Wow. That's a lot of spam.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Wow, I find around 75% to be pretty common.
    Over 90% is a lot of spam!
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Our Proofpoint server flags about 97% of our mail as spam/phishing. We average about 8K messages/day. I can't wait to see how UT does when we go live with it.

I have worked at larger companies that less than 1% of mail was valid.
    Last edited by TH3J1M; 01-10-2013 at 10:29 AM.

I've got about 80% spam here, LWBC up the street is pushing 90%.

I thought I had read somewhere that something like 96-97% of all mail traffic on the Internet is spam. Heaven knows there's a ton of it out there, otherwise we wouldn't need these filters.

It's crazy that we need an automatic mechanism to delete junk mail, because finding legitimate mail is the hard part. It's a wonder anyone uses e-mail anymore.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Beware, enabling tarpit will change these stats significantly.
    Tarpit will block the connection from a lot of spammers so they never have a chance to send an email at all. Those blocks aren't counted in the spam/ham ratio.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Beware, enabling tarpit will change these stats significantly.
    Tarpit will block the connection from a lot of spammers so they never have a chance to send an email at all. Those blocks aren't counted in the spam/ham ratio.
    Nice, that explains the new numbers. Our drops were lower than I expected but I had no spam complaints.

I got the UT server going last-night, the spam engine seems to work very well. I am impressed so far.

When I took the job here I found multiple BOT nets, firewall holes and server virus protections, my predecessor was clueless and apparently lazy. We were getting over 1.5 million RDP attempts a month to leave our network, after I cleaned things up it dropped into the 100's, which are all valid connections.

I just went through the numbers in UT for last-night and it seems to be working very well so far and the performance is very good.

this shows how many people want to spread spam messages, just to sell their products, I wish there were more strict laws against ip's which are spamming

Would you support international controls?

Telemarketers simply moved outside the US when the US attempted to stamp them out. The same for mass mailers. Most of those regulations have all been done away with because controlling the behavior is near impossible. E-Mail is just the most recent iteration of those problems. The only reason you don't see text message spam yet is because the networks that deliver those messages are all private, and everyone is subject to the terms of service. Which the provider uses to legally disconnect any customer that decides to use the service improperly.

So basically e-mail spam is here to stay unless we have a one world government, that's going to own the Internet, and enforce a TOS on all SMTP connections. Given that's not likely to happen any time soon, or ever, we all deal with the next best thing... a combination of technologies to automatically determine the likelihood any given message is junk.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com