Default Performance for high-bandwidth links?

On the Wiki (http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/H...e_Requirements) it gives HW recommendations by # of users. What bandwidth connections are these? DSL? T1? 100 Mbit? Gbit?

mdh

There's no reference to bandwidth. The guidelines are based on typical loads on memory and disk for typical users for functionality, logging and reports. Higher bandwidth could imply higher usage levels, but only to a certain degree. You still have to take in what you download, whether that be machine processing, or interactive human processing.

OK, so is there any information available anywhere as to the ability of Untangle to deal with high speed links? It would seem that many people would ask that question.

mdh

If you have gigabit cards and a gigabit link, Untangle will use it at that speed. There are many users using that speed. I don't know of anyone running on a faster link than that, but its doubtful that Untangle would have drivers for anything faster anyway. That would be enterprise-class hardware, and thats really beyond what the SMB market uses.

Thanks. My internet uplink is only 100 mbits.

Oh, and your download link doesn't work for those of us with adblock blocking urchin. I did manage to find the download URL by reading the javascript.

OK, so I am fairly happy at 100 mbits, running a web crawler. But at 1 gbit, my crawler is sucking. I keep on upping the "users" number; I have about 10,000 tcp & dns sessions open at once. But it seems that "users" has an invisible limit or something? 20,000 didn't seem to work any better than 4,000. Or is there any way to see how close to this limit my usage is getting? Obviously I can tell in that many of my sessions time out, but I'd like to know what the Untangle box thinks about its tables.

mdh

I'm not sure about 5.3, but in the past our limit was 10,000 sessions. Beyond that, you're building a queue on your internal interface. Usually, the only place that this is an issue is when you've got a bit torrent guy behind your wall looking for 9 GB in 8K bites. By your own admission, you're there.