Master Untangler

Default Untangle 10.0 Great Job!

I was able to get our existing Untangle converted over to 10.0 this past weekend. I am floored by the decrease in overall load on the system. Before the move to 10.0 we averaged a load of 3-5. Now that we are on 10.0, we are seeing a load of .01-.4.

I wanted to say thanks to the Untangle dev's/community for such a great product. Great Job!!!!
    Jim.Alles likes this.

I'm seeing approximately 20% improvement across the board in general performance. CPU load is down, RAM use is down.

The machines that got the most benefit are at the extremes of the hardware spectrum. The little Atom based units are able to handle considerably larger environments (unless you install Spam Blocker), and the monster dual xeon boxes went from loaded to idle. I'm sure the machines in between got a benefit too, but it's not as pronounced. At least not that has been reported to me.

But yes, Untangle 10 ROCKS.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

It's a huge win here.

We have a fairly powerful box, and while it rarely showed a significant load it struggled at times, for reasons I could never pin down, to the point where I would not have recommended UT to peers at institutions any larger than we are. I really felt like were at the top end of what UT could support, based on the real performance we experienced.

Now, our typical load is less than .5 where it used to be between 1.5 and 2.5 on the same hardware, and I'm not seeing near the same random, inexplicable latency I was before, if at all. A big part of this may be that we increased bandwidth at the same time as the upgrade to UT10, but I feel like we could get by with a machine with only half the cpu and ram. A bigger school get dual-cpus and more ram, and probably be just fine. My only concern is that our old issues seemed more related to I/O of some kind, but even then, a good RAID array or quality (huge emphasis there) SSD and UT should do fine.

My only advice for UT right now is caution. Once you've established a new performance benchmark (and I feel like they have), it's hard to back away from it. The problem is that, fairly soon, you will have installations out there running on hardware that is marginally capable for the traffic load. At this point, all that it takes is for a new feature or fix to add even a little bit of a performance penalty to the software, and suddenly those marginal installations are completely broken.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 10-29-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

I was told that Untangle changed something where in some cases Untangle was categorizing a given network session multiple times. In 10 the entire process that a network session goes through is streamlined, vs 9. So we're experiencing a real performance gain, due to low level efficiency gains. I don't expect that to change with a module addition. The ONLY module that changes load drastically at this point is either Spam Blocker. If you're not using it, Untangle can be pushed into silly situations and do quite well.

I have a new server in the field, it's not quite a month old yet. Dual Oct core Xeon, 32gb of ram, 4 gigabit copper NICs, 4 fiber 10gb NICs.

The customer and sent screenshots of loads statistically so low, they aren't accurate measures. And the 10gb fiber is working. It's supporting a mac heavy school with over 5000 devices.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Great to hear that others are seeing the same as me! My hardware is no slouch either (IBM x3650 M4). We have roughly 1Gbit in internet bandwidth so this machine gets quite the workout. I would say we have 2500 or so devices. I was just so stunned by the drop in load. Keep it up Untangle devs!

Master Untangler

Rob,

With that many devices, have you seen any issues with bumping the 10K session limits?
    ...Rick

I've got two sites that large that bump into the session wall. But at this point in time, don't have any visible issues with it. I've seen 8k sessions in the counter, and while that's going on see a CPU load of .1... it's some crazy stuff!
    NexgenAppliances.com

I wanted to add another note of how much WIN we got from upgrading to Untangle 10. Sometimes a picture says it best:
    utwin.png
    This shows more sessions than we ever able to support with UT9.4 (the most I'd ever see us hit previously without load problems was around 5000), pulling over 70Mbps downstream and running at a mere .2 load in spite of the high volume. The 52 day uptime is a nice sign, too (it means we haven't needed to reboot since the upgrade).
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 12-10-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty