Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Feature Request x 2 NAS APP and Media Server APP

Request a storage manager/NAS that could:

At the most simple Use existing storage as NAS and use local or AD credentials to manage permissions

At the best A RAID storage manager to account for several drives highly available; maybe USB/eSATA support too!

Request a Media Server, something like Twonkey or another UPNP server.

The combination of these apps when used with an old computer would make Untangle the perfect "single 24/7 live system on my network" solution! Even though I use the full license at work, I use the lite version at home. If you had these as paid apps, you would generate more income, guaranteed!

sorry, but i highly doubt we're ever going to do anything like that. personally i use unRAID.
    though we are open source and anyone can write an app for that!
    Last edited by hlarsen; 11-27-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: adding data

Untangler

Take a look at openmediavault.org. It's not a firewall but a seperate stand alone project. It is debian squeeze based so it might be possible to integrate it into untangle but I would not want to support that. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Take a look at openmediavault.org. It's not a firewall but a seperate stand alone project. It is debian squeeze based so it might be possible to integrate it into untangle but I would not want to support that. LOL
    I agree, convergence is great... but there are some things that are just a bad idea.

If you want to do this, I think ClearOS is the ONLY thing crazy enough to let you, and they'll tell you it's a bad idea.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

My bad in not explaining my intent clearly.

1. I looked at my home network and thought "why should I have 2 devices powered on and running 24/7 (my old computer running Untangle and my NAS) when I know Untangle 'could' handle both"

2. As for the bad idea comment, I realized that I forgot to say that the NAS would ONLY be available on the private side although there would be utility (albeit a "bad idea") for serving files externally. There are many routers on the market today that have USB ports to accomplish this internal NAS solution.

3. Untangle seems to have a way of taking complex issues and producing simple solutions so I could not pass up the opportunity to bring this up.

Thanks everyone for the comments and I will look into those other products as well.

Sky-Knight, you meant bad idea because of the complexity it would bring or putting too many eggs in one basket or adding potentially exploitable code...or all of the above

All of the above.

Untangle is a border security device designed for businesses. While I agree it's got a solid utility at home, the price point places it well out of most residential applications. Home users are simply better off in most cases using a cloud based filtration solution like OpenDNS.

Ok, I should be more clear, when I say "better off" I really mean "more likely". Untangle is "better" but it's also significantly more expensive than "free". So it's a hard sell in a cost driven home market.

Anyway, having file storage of any kind on a UTM just doesn't make any sense. Untangle may be "simple" but it's still a network security device. Having file storage on a security device is simply a bad practice.

If you want the all in one thing, get a system powerful enough to run a basic VMWare, ProxMox, Hyper-V, or Citrix hypervisor. Then simply build the VMs you want. Just beware that doing so comes with risk, and complexity. But, if you can navigate it, you'll have a solution that's not only compact, but powerfully flexible for future changes.

Finally, a dedicated home server would be about as expensive, but offer far more utility. So again, convergence is great... but there are time when it just doesn't make sense. This is one of them.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

Thanks for that breakdown Sky-Knight, that makes perfect sense!

I use the full paid version at the office (from the business side I do not see how it could get better!) and run the free version at home. I tried openDNS but found it cumbersome. Plus, I have 5 kids so I use the captive portal with each of them using their own username/password.

You mentioned using VMware and hosting everything on one box, that is why you make the big bucks! I see my new weekend project!

Untangler

Install Esxi and then create 2 vm;s or even 3 one pfsense-untangle in bridge or untangle by itself and the other vm for NAS duties I recommend Xpenology which is a port of Synology so you have a NAS with all of its nice features and packages.

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Or OpenFiler... or FreeNAS.

I personally prefer the latter of the two.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

or NAS4Free, a fork of FreeNAS 7. It's very light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast