View Poll Results: I want the Standard Package to be offered again

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 50.00%
  • No

2 50.00%
    Master Untangler

Question Anyone want the standard package back?

I'm finding that either Untangle needs to bring down the price of individual apps (i.e. Web Filter and Live Support cost more than the entire Complete Package ) or bring back the standard package. It's really hard to justify the cost of Untangle to my SMB customers with the pricing change.

Anyone else in on this with me?

Nope, I only had 1 customer in a bit more than half a decade purchase standard. The cost difference between the packages was minimal, and the functionality loss was rather stark.

There are many issues with Untangle's pricing structure in my opinion, but the decision to yank Standard was a good one.

Finally, Untangle's price relative to competing products that perform the same thing is quite competitive. It's true they aren't the cheapest anymore, but it's not the most expensive either.
    f1assistance likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

With the end of pop3 antispam (and pish and antivirus) untangle lost some sense into the environment for small businesses using these email system.
    Sometimes the technical reasons and the marketing reasons does not go by the same route.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

These days I would not use POP3 or IMAP as it sends email passwords in the clear for anyone to read. POP3S and IMAPS is encrypted so scanning is limited to the end points.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle's anti-spam features have never been a huge selling point for me. I focus on VPN termination options, anti-virus, and proactive threat management. Web Filter sells the pile largely, when presented properly. The rest is sold as an administrative time saver.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    These days I would not use POP3 or IMAP as it sends email passwords in the clear for anyone to read. POP3S and IMAPS is encrypted so scanning is limited to the end points.
    Jcoffin:
    Yes , the password travel in clear text from client to the ISP mail server (3 to 5 hop), no big man in the middle risk, I am talking about really small business (less to 25 users), and this "residual" market is covered for almost every other anti spam/UTM solutions in the market today.
    You have some study or research about the percentage of pop3 account still live? If yes, can share with us?
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

You can't use unencrypted POP3 or IMAP and attain PCI compliance, so if your SMB accepts credit cards... they have to move.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

I've always found untangle's pricing to be too high for the market segment I operate in, but the standard package was no loss. As sky said, the cost was so very little less than the premium package, it just wasn't worth the bother for all that was lost. I could have a half-dozen customers on the complete package if the pricing were about 50% less, but as it stands I've got 3 who each purchased the individual app they needed (1 wan failover, 2 spam blocker), and 4 or 5 running just the free apps.

That said, I'm sure Untangle has carefully considered their pricing, and it is what it is because that's what it needs to be.