Untangler

Default WAN Failover: Recovery Threshold

We're currently experiencing an issue where our primary internet connection is "spotty". Pings go out and are replied back, but they are hit or miss. The problem is they are hit enough to keep the internet afloat 50% of the time even though the connection itself is terrible at the moment.

Something that I've seen on other equipment is the ability to set a "wait" time to bring the connection back online after a failure. This is done to prevent preemptive resolution in the case there is still a problem.

More or less, it'd be cool to say like "If internet goes down, wait for 100% test success rate over 2-3 minutes before bringing it back online."

If you want 100% required to be considered online just set the failure threshold to 1 out of 10.
    you can set the testing interval at whatever you like.

http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/WAN_Failover
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

For issues with ISPs regarding intermittent packet loss, that'd be a nightmare. Tests would pass sometimes, fail others. Set the interval too low, you got a bouncing internet. Set it too high, then you run the risk of concurrent Passes even though every test in between would Fail 50% of the time, and now you have to wait longer for the system to decide their's a problem.

By using a proper test (4 out of 10, for example), the system is better able to determine "Okay, so, 4 out of 10? Not good. Let's cut this off."

The request I'm asking for is I guess to add a secondary test for recovery, as sometimes I'll get a test that is under the 4 to 10 and it'll bring internet back up even though it's really not working correctly. Sure, the next test is only 15-30 seconds away to be able to take it back offline, but in the meantime you have a huge chunk of sessions (depending on network size/users) attempting to establish on the ISP that's malfunctioning.

With a recovery test, you have another layer for the system to determine if the issue is intermittent, and if it should keep the more stable, backup connection running by itself for the time being.

Edit: The type of feature I'm referring to would be the "negative-time" aspect of the track command on 3com/HP devices, as documented here. http://tiny.cc/ziuhmx Basically, it says if for any reason a route is set to unavailable, it must stay unavailable for a minimum amount of time before it's allowed to come back online. Anytime a test configured fails, that timer resets.
    Last edited by ZeroT3K; 09-20-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Its built in. At 5 second intervals and 1/10 it will be a minimum of 50 seconds and ten consecutive passed tests to be considered online.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com