Thread: Console Access

Default Console Access

Thank you Untangle for maintaining this critical feature.

I had an NG Firewall 9.4.2 bork it's UVM today due to a power failure. The unit was scheduled for upgrade to v11 next week anyway so I just pushed it over. However, I didn't have my notes with me at the time. The old unit was still working as a router, the base OS was online, and SSH was available to the internal network.

It's really nice to be able to nano /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/resolve.conf, /etc/dnsmasq.conf and have all the details I need to reconfigure a new router. It really saved me some time today, and because it's raining the calls keep coming.

This sort of thing is why I love Untangle so much. You can't do this with a Sonicwall!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Rob, any idea why the UVM couldn't survive the power failure? We've used UT with power failures & haven't seen that yet.

The hardware was configured to autopower up after a power failure.

Ever had a SQL database bounce a few times? They don't like it!

A single power fault and back online doesn't usually break things. But have the box bounce 3-4 times half way through a boot cycle and they don't tend to live any more.

The server is now configured to stay off after a failure. The customer doesn't want to pay to fix the UPS it's on. So now if power drops they'll just have to walk their butts in there and push the button.

It also might have a bad drive... but it reinstalled without complaint or error as far as I could tell. Time will tell on that one.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-08-2014 at 03:16 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The hardware was configured to autopower up after a power failure.
    That's how I normally configure all of the units we send out, as this seems most consistent to the *appliance* type functionality that we believe a firewall should fit into.

Do you recommend configuring UT NG this way, or require someone to manually power it on after A/C power loss?

If the system has a database on it, and it doesn't have a UPS, configuring it to auto power on will result in problems.

That being said this particular server survived almost a year and a half of this abuse before it had one incident. And it's in an area that has a particularly unstable grid.

Having a human power it up manually when the human knows the power is on for good is always safer. But that doesn't necessarily mean that having the system power up automatically isn't safe.
    NexgenAppliances.com

If the system has a database on it, and it doesn't have a UPS, configuring it to auto power on will result in problems.
    Do you have NGs in the field (customer locations) that are powered by a UPS & configured to shutdown on A/C power loss? I think this would be ideal, but we have yet to actually see a unit deployed that way...

Yes
    NexgenAppliances.com

Yes
    I suppose this is one more area where *console access* comes in handy.

Yes, yes it does. But it doesn't usually include customizing the OS in any way. I try not to modify the installation base of Untangle servers, lest major upgrades be problem. 10 to 11 for example.

Console access provides a gateway to a level of integration no other UTM enjoys.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-08-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com