Master Untangler

Default v11 Licensing....

I get why UT wants to crack down on the licensing and don't have an issue. What I do have an issue with the fact we can't create 'unlicensed/lite' racks for traffic to go through, we can only bypass it completely. We have clients with wifi racks, etc., that don't need licensed features, but it would be nice to have the ability to send this traffic through an unlicensed or lite rack. It's an all or nothing thing right now and too much like other vendors.

And the licensed Policy Manager possibly combined with Directory Connector you're using to get it there is what exactly?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Not looking to use the Directory Connector, just the policy manager to route to the correct rack. My point is why pay for 2x the licensing when it won't be used. Reminds me of other vendors...

You'd still have to have the larger licensing for policy manager. For enforcement reasons, that's insane. I wouldn't even want to think about the complexities of having a la carte licensing, but different user levels per module. Which is what would be required to do what you're asking.

Why not just use two servers? If power consumption is that much of a concern, build a proper hypervisor and operate multiple VMs.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

a la carte licensing used to be available for certain functions.

It still is, but you've never been able to mix and match user counts.
    NexgenAppliances.com

This is a good idea. I'd file a feature request at bugzilla.untangle.com.

You wouldn't get reporting, and we'd probably need to limit it to a single rack without any paid modules, but this *should* be doable. Keep in mind that I don't do any coding for the product, so my opinion on what is doable isn't all that valuable.

I'll bring it up in our Product Management meeting on monday too.
    agit8or likes this.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I happen to like the two-server approach, because keeping the public wifi network physically separate from the business makes sense to me. It also gave me a hot spare for the business side.

But the one time I did that, I built the network from the ground up as the building was being built. It was probably a luxury. And I am pretty sure my opinion isn't worth a whole lot, either.
    Last edited by Jim.Alles; 11-14-2014 at 07:45 AM.