Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I am a home user, with three kids, 4 Ubuntu desktops (one each), a steam machine, apple ipads, media centers (raspberry pis) etc all adding up to 17 hosts. I would like to purchase the web caching functionality for Untangle (I have used Untangle for a while to restrict content on the network) in particular caching the OS updates for Ubuntu - however - the per host licenses makes this untenable for me.

I am 4 users (three of them kids) but with 17 unique hosts. This number is only going to increase (e.g. just purchased an extra NAS and an extra raspberry pi/kodi - that's two more hosts).

I understand that home users are not your target demographic, however if people use your kit at home they are much more likely to use it at work (I did actually install Untangle at a previous workplace).

I'd love to see a pricing plan that could accommodate home users.

Cheers, Ed.

Web Caching won't do anything for your network... why do you want it?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Banned

I've actually had good luck with Untangles web caching. Even with a fast connection, it's still faster pulling off a full Cat6 1000Mbps local connection. How many milliseconds it saves a month - that's another story.. LOL

I've run it on myself, I've run it on a network that had 300 people on it... in both cases it saved me megabytes while causing untold headaches in all things auto-updating, like Windows Update, Apple Update, and APT cache corruption issues.

This experience matches every other transparent proxy product I've ever worked with. So given that bandwidth is cheap, I just opt out of the thing.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Web Caching won't do anything for your network... why do you want it?
    Mainly because I have a number of similar devices that all are pulling the same updates. Multiple ipads, 4 raspberry pis running kodi, 4 Ubuntu boxes, 3 machines using steam (although it probably wont cache the games - wish it would - buy the same game for multiple kids and the downloads suck).

What prompted me to look at the caching was when I was updating all Ubuntu boxes from 14.04 to 15.10, and they were all having to download the same set of .debs using http, web caching would have saved the day right there.

To be honest I don't know for sure whether it would help - I'd like to try and find out, but there is no point given the cost of the product (which is just a wrapper around squid anyway - which I have no problems setting up - but given that I am already using Untangle, and are happy with it...).

The other thing is that I *want* to pay some money to Untangle, I like their product. But they don't make it viable for me to pay them since the licensing puts me at SMB levels. I currently pay for Netflix, github, Lastpass, spotify etc, and have no issues paying a similar amount to Untangle given the service that they are providing.

I _could_ build my own box that does what I want - but life is too short - Untangle does it already, and does it well.
    Last edited by egroenen; 01-06-2016 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I've run it on myself, I've run it on a network that had 300 people on it... in both cases it saved me megabytes while causing untold headaches in all things auto-updating, like Windows Update, Apple Update, and APT cache corruption issues.
    I don't really see how you can assign blame over APT cache corruption on a transparent proxy, simple downloads using http. The only way I could see this happening is if a download terminates early and leaves a truncated file in the cache - which is then fed to everyone else subsequently. Windows and Apple - well who knows what happens in that black box, so I wouldn't be surprised!

That said it's useful to hear about your experiences - mind you I'd still like to try for myself

edit - had a quick google about squid and apple updates - looks like it does NOT work out of the box due to Apple adding no-cache in the headers, however it is solvable. Whether we have access to the squid config in Untangle to do this is unknown to me http://lkrms.org/caching-ios-updates...-proxy-server/

Mind you going off topic here..
    Last edited by egroenen; 01-06-2016 at 03:21 AM.

I try to stay on defaults as much as possible for support reasons. I was just pointing out that transparent proxies aren't known to be stable. And they really don't provide any substantive value for anyone in the US, unless you're on a cellular or satellite uplink. That feature is mainly there for outlying areas. There are all sorts of random things that can crop up when you start caching, and the Internet as a whole is rapidly becoming uncachable, with everything going HTTPs, as well as the ever increasing piles of dynamic content.

As for the APT thing, stuff happens. Downloads go wrong ALL THE TIME, this is the Internet, things happen. So yeah, you get a cached update stuck in the proxy and now the mechanisms built into APT to deal with it can't. The same holds true for both Apple and Windows Update, Google Play, and just about every other software delivery service. The only one I've never seen break is Steam.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12